briefly discuss the effects of modernity on family life.?

please help me with this it's for a essay in college.

Favorite Answer

The effects of modernity on family life?

How brief do you want this?

What family life? Brief enough?

My thoughts and perceptions.

When I was growing up, we ate our meals at the kitchen table and talked to each other face to face even! I could walk over to my grandparents house and 10 times out of 10 they would be there. Not at the Mall, or on vacation in Maui or RVing across the USofA. It was the same for aunts and uncles.

Mom and Dad were always around, we lived on a farm and worked together as a unit. Planted crops, took care of the livestock, brought in the harvest, and fixed the equipment during winter.

Ours is no longer an agrarian society. It has become "Mega-politan". Families used to consist of four to sometimes fourteen children. Now they are one maybe three kids. Everybody works. Seems like no one is home. Family meals happen only on the holidays if even then. iPods, portable DVD players, hand-held video games, cell phones keep people in their own individual worlds. Kids are savvy by the time they are 8-9 years old. Because of hormones in our food, little girls are starting their cycles as early as 9. It's too fast for everyone.

Reminds me of an old 60's song "Slow Down, You Move too Fast, gotta make the morning last, tripping down the cobblestones, looking for fun and feeling groovy." Even then they could see the changes.

Modern Family, 2006 style: disrespectful kids, wife who's never home, work-a-holic dad

Modern Family, 1950 style: stay at home mom, beaver cleaver kids, dad who came home at 5:00 P.M. to a dinner waiting on the table.