Nursing Degree?

I was interesting in becoming a nurse after high school/college. What are the most common classes needed to get a nursing degree?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

6 figures? Not without a master's degree and advanced training honey.

I am currently pursuing a BSN (Bachelors of science in nursing) so here is the best advice a can offer:

-If you are doing it for the money, you won't make it past the first clinical. Your patients will know and more importantly you will lack the compassion it takes to be a successful nurse. Trust me you will need more than dollar signs to get through the first time you lose a patient, you know a patients getting ready to die, and the first time you clean up poop.

-Take anatomy, microbiology, biology, chemistry, college algebra.

A lot of programs are set up to where you have to take anatomy is a pre-req before you can apply, but a few programs have their nursing students take anatomy with their nursing classes. Anatomy is extremely trying and if you have nursing classes with it, your stress level will be through the roof. So get those science classes out of the way ASAP.

-Get a sample curriculum plan from the schools you think you might want to consider. Usually there are a few required classes that anyone can take like psychology, english, chem, etc. Take those so your course load will be a lot lighter when you actually get accepted into the program.

-Some schools require nursing assistant certification. Its usually a 2 month course (its pretty basic) and you can even work with it. Most community colleges offer it. You learn blood pressure, basic care needs, basic charting,etc. This will help you when you get into nursing school because you will already be comfortable in a clinical setting.

- And mostly just be prepared for alot of a stress and a very rewarding career.

Good luck!!!

• 1 decade ago

Hooray that you're considering nursing! It will be one of the best jobs to be had. There's a huge need, and the $$$ is terrific.

You will need to decide if you want an Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree - because the coursework will be somewhat different. A lot of nurses start with the A.D., which allows you to test for your nursing license, and then start work, while moving on to get your bachelor's degree.

You'll be taking plenty of science, math, and more, besides nursing classes.

Go to school now and get a Nursing Assistant Certificate, it's the place to start!!!!

Source(s): I'm a nurse!!
  • 1 decade ago

If you're going for a bachelor, you will take a few biology classes first aid, medical ethics, and as always the requirements for any give college..ie English, Math, speech.

Nursing has a very bright future as a career...some people are making 6 figures in Nursing.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

i don't understand what number circumstances I actual have responded those kind of questions. it truly is problematic to ascertain those that imagine an ADN is a lot less of a nurse than a BSN. i'm a Dir of Nursing with an ADN degree. I actual are starting to be the position i wanted in existence with out the better frills and am even searching at going into consulting. there is no distinction in wages that i pay or furnish between the ADN or BSN, maximum contained in the Minneapolis/St Paul section do no longer furnish a distinction. because of the dearth of nurs4es which could no longer to get any better contained in the destiny, there is actual a lot less happening for the better degree till later, in the journey that they experience they pick it, because the objective is to tutor out nurses swifter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Early background will include much biology and chemistry, and then leads to more specialized classes. There's a real shortage of nurses, so if you pursue that course, there's no doubt you'll find a good job market.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.