why are the Olympic games are played every 4 years not every 3 or 5?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Leap years! they are special years

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Greeks believed that they honored the Gods by using and displaying their athletic abilities. Religious festivals were held often for this purpose. In fact, every four years a month-long festival was held by a large city-state. These celebrations were so important that during the month of the festival all fighting among them stopped. The festival that our modern Olympic Games were patterned after was held at the foot of Mount Olympus, the peak of which was believed to be the home of the Gods. This festival was one of the largest and most important to the Greeks because of its location and religious purpose. To show further honor with this festival they built a temple and very large stadium to hold the Games. During this festival (and all the early festivals) the events only included a few foot races, but as time went on additional sports were added.

• 1 decade ago

Its a traditional matter , because the old Games 776 BC took place in Olympia valley by Athen every 4 years . Further more this period of time give the Nations enough time to build their athletes , teams , other requirements before the Games .

• 1 decade ago

Why is the world cup played every four years? The answer probably will be the same reason.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

should be every 2 years

• 1 decade ago

i dont know....but i though it was every two years and the world cup is every 4 years....

• 1 decade ago

tradition

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

BECAUSE IT WOULD COST TO MUCH TO SEND OUR KIDS EVERY 3TO5 YEARS

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

people are scared of odd numbers.

• 1 decade ago

i guess this was the time that was analyzed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.