Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 1 decade ago

Is it possible for lightning to bend at a 90 degree angle?

Favorite Answer

I've seen lightning split & fork at odd angles when watching from the oceanfront.

There's also something called "rolling lightning," in which balls of lightning can actually *roll* through your home. I'm not a Wikipedia queen & don't have any sources, but I'm interested in hearing about anyone else's info.

• Dan S

Not only can it bend 90 degrees it can form into free floating balls, various forks, ribbons, or it can come down in sheets.

Lightning seeks to ground itself out. It seeks the shortest path to ground and it will take any route to get there, even if it involves a 90 degree angle. Where ball lightning comes from is still debatable.

A lightning (in nature) is actually following some sort of a "channel" of lowest electrical resistance it finds in the atmosphere.

If such a duct happens at some point to run horizontal instead of straight down you get the 90° angle

Don't confuse "lightning" with "light". Yes, it IS possible for lightning to "bend" at a 90 degree angle...because it is "elctricity", not light. Lightning does indeed emit "light"...but lightning itself is not "light"...it is "electricity"...and it will travel wherever we choose...as through our lines upon the telephone-poles...electricity travels through the wires wherever we want the electricity to travel. But it's interesting to note, that, electricity "travels" at the speed of light...about 7.5 times around the earth per second.

Source(s): I, even as a small boy at the age of 8 years, was already learning about radios and transmitters and anything that had to do with electricity. By the age of 11 (eleven), I was already reading electrical schematics and building transistor transmitters that could transmit a signal about half-a-mile. Electricity and Light, broadly speaking, are "relatives" one of the other.

I don't think it can bend but I know lightning is able to bounce off of objects. Because when you install a lightning rod on your roof when the lightning hits the rod it will bounce off and hit the floor.

Lightning can travel at a vertical angle for miles before striking the ground....at almost any angle there is. Rule of thumb....Hear Thunder?? Lightning can hit you!!! RUN!!!!!!

I have never seen lightning at that shape before but I think it's possible to happen

I dont think so. For waves to "bend" they need to diffract around an obstacle. Firstly there is no obstacle for lightning to bend around and secondly light has too short a wavelength for it to diffract that much

Yes, even in a circle! See: ring lightning.

Yes