if anyone still writes paper checks...how long before check should be voided?

if a paper check didn't make it to it's proper merchant when should it be voided?

when should it be considered lost or stolen?

Favorite Answer

The Uniform Commercial Code (applicable in 49 states) defines checks as "stale dated" as six months and technically a check is not negotiable after that time.

Problem is that most check clearing is done by machines that read the "MICR line" at the bottom of the check, so it is possible for banks to pay checks that are technically "stale dated".

If this is a large dollar amount, you may want to place a stop payment order just to be sure that the original check is not paid before issuing a replacement. If it is a smaller amount (since there is usually a stop payment fee charged by the bank), if you put the check in the mail, I would just replace it if it didnt show up within two billing statement cycles. (but that's me and I am no lawyer) and assume it was lost and not likely to re-surface after about 90 days.

• DEATH

In some states personal checks are concidered void after thirty days. But, not all merchants respect this. It's not a law in many states, I believe 90 days is more standard.

sometimes checks are not void until after 6 months. check with your bank. you can also do a stop payment on the check so that if someone tries to cash the check that shouldn't be cashing it, they won't be able to.

• pappy

You can stop payment on a check at any time making the check worthless. There is a fee for doing so.

90 days is pretty standard in the US. However, if you stop payment, the check in invalid as soon as the bank acknowledges the stop payment

my bank says 90 days. you need to ask your bank they are all different these days