Why did Schweinsteiger get a yellow card at the end of the Germany-Portugal game?

I saw the ref draw the card, but the commentators did not mention anything about it.

Favorite Answer

he took his shirt completely off, and you are not supposed to do that during the game

You might have noticed the fact that Schweinsteiger took his shirt off which caused his yellow card

Schweinsteiger got a yellow card because he took off his shirt after he scored his second goal, and that's not allowed.

It is against the rules of the game for a player to take off his shirt in celebration of a goal, because he did so he was yellow carded.

• He took off his shirt which I assume they decided was taunting and deserving of a yellow. The ESPN commentators in the studio later mentioned it.

yeah, Virginia high school league has the same crap. I'm suspended for next years opening match cuz i took my jersey off when i made a stopage time goal, and ref game me a stupid red card. :( it should'e been a yellow.

One nuance not mentioned yet is that he wouldn't have gotten the yellow card if he lifted his shirt over his head but kept it on.

How about if he ran around like an airplane, like some U.S. players do? Or somersaulted? Or did the hula? Or . . . ?

• its against fifa rules to remove your jersey while the game is still on. you can celebrate all you want but dont remove your jersey no matter how happy you are, you simply get a yellow card.

he took his shirt off after scorin a goal... the players are only allow to take it off after the match not durin and so thats why he got that yellow card

He took off his shirt, and that's not allowed by FIFA rules. But it doesn't matter to him, as he's so happy with his 2 goals.

(3 actually)

Because he took off his shirt to celebrate his goal. FIFA has a dumb rule of giving yellow cards to players who take off their shirts when they celebrate.