My acrobat reader (adobe)5.0 wont let me open up any programs even its own. It says it is not supported.?

When I try to open up an application my acrobat reader comes up. It says that it can't open it up because it is not a supported file type or that it is corrupt. Now this happens when I open any application even Add and Remove programs. Plus it wont let me open up Internet Explorer, yahoo or Aol messenger. NOTHING. I can't even download an antivirus cause it wont let me open it up once it downloads. What can I do????

Ok I deleted it and downloaded it again. Now it wont let me open up anything it asks me to choose which program to open the file. When I choose something nothing happens. How can I put the Adobe back?

Favorite Answer

Delete it and download it again.

Look in your Program Files directory and see if you can find the folder that has Adobe Acrobat in it. (Will probably be names Adobe). Look in that folder for any files with the extension .exe, or is of type "application". (The file will have a name something like "Acread32")

This is the file that runs the Acrobat program. Try changing the name of that file. Then Windows will be unable to find and open the program. That may allow you to get into the Add and Remove programs so that you can remove the Adobe program.

• Laura

I presume you mean while you are using webmail. It means the acrobat reader( or adobe reader as it is now) plugin in your browser is not working not the reader itself .Ignore DBZ's advice it has nothing to do with office or file associations. Depending on which browser you are using the solution is different. But if you are using firefox see below. Give up on Firefox until its fixed there are currently just too many problems to rate it as a reliable piece of software. Try Orca, K-Meleon or Flock they are all free Mozilla based browsers and are all faster than Firefox. They have been produced by people who agree the Mozilla search engine is best but that firefox has gone wrong somewhere. If you go to firefox help pages or Mozillazine help pages you will see that the people there are extremely arrogant and blame everything and everybody for having problems with Firefox. Not a good sign. IE8 is OK with a shell like Avant or Maxthon or slim browser. But a browser that is not part of the OS will always be more secure. the less well known it is the less likely it will be hacked.

If you have reader v 5 it may be looking for an update - is there an update option on the screen you receive?

Try restarting your computer to see if this fixes it.

If the above do not work start your computer in safe mode (press the F8 key as the computer starts. Remove Adobe Acrobat reader and restart your computer.

Make sure you have a backup of anything you want to keep on this computer as there may be more underlying problems.

Yeah, you may have to reinstall it and get the latest Acrobat reader. That's windows for you, sometime it will give you problems like that. If it won't let you even open up a anti-virus program, then you should try from a disk. Disconnect from the Internet, disable your system restore, and run that anti-virus program. It may be a virus that is causing you woe. oh, and don't forget to turn your system restore back on....hope I helped!!

Try to see if you can get an upgrade I run on Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0

50% of the time..rebooting your computer fixes this problem

40% of the time your Firewall is blocking the program and needs changes to the settings

10% of the time your computer may have a virus. try first two then check for virus. At http://www.download.com/ you can download a free antivirus program called AVAST I use it and it works great..

Good Luck..I hope this helps

I dont know anything about adobe but your little pic is cute as hell.

• Ron~N

Wow,--something else looks pretty well supported".

you need to update your acrobat. it is out of date ...