patootee asked in SportsGolf · 1 decade ago

When should I cut or fade a chip or pitch shot?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, you can, in theory, cut or fade a pitch or chip shot. You can impart left to right spin just as in the full shot, but you just cannot impart as much. Cutting a pitch shot slightly can make it check up a little quicker than a typical pitch shot. Just as forcing a pitch or chip to hook slightly will cause more roll out.

You should work on really cutting across a pitch or chip when the green is going away from you or when you have a tight pin with an obstacle in between you. If you watch Phil Mickelson hit his flop shot, sometimes he has a pretty neutral swing plane, but sometimes he really cuts across it. He's trying to affect how much roll occurs after it lands.

Hope this helps...

• 1 decade ago

You don't fade a chip shot! Do you mean, say punching a low cut out from the trees? As it is, I open my chipping club and come across the ball when I chip. The ball still goes straight because the distances are so much shorter the angle doesn't push it off to the right. So, no worries, you can't fade a pitch or chip.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

it easily relies upon on you. A chip is hitting from merely off the fairway. Your purpose with a chip is comparable to a protracted putt. you probable do not opt to apply a three or 5 iron. some human beings will use a 8 or a 9 iron for long chips, because of the fact the ball maintains to be low and runs far. many of the time i take advantage of a sand wedge. A pitch shot it an prolonged shot wherein the ball has to hold interior the air lots added. often something decrease than approximately one hundred i evaluate a pitch. that's the place it relies upon on you. Your length of golf equipment determines which club and the thank you to play it. Any type of wedge is often what you're able to have on your hand. even nonetheless, you will be able to ought to choke down and take a three/4 swing to loose far reckoning on the place you're. undergo in concepts, there is not a demanding and quickly rule that applies to a majority of those circumstances. understand what you're hitting off of (tough, fairway) and your distances. good success, and don't supply up. golfing is fairly problematical in the commencing up (properly, consistently, even nonetheless it gets better)

• 1 decade ago

never!

aim to hit these shots straight always, when playing out the bunker you can open the club face and that will empat a bit of spin on the ball but the ball doesn't stay in the air long enough to have a massive effect on the flight, only when it hits the green and checks up left or right!

hope this helps,

Nick

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

never

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.