Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Why do some fast food restaurants have different names in the South and West?

I've noticed White Castle is called Krystal's down south, and Rally's is called Checkers. What's up with that? I think I've noticed Hardee's is called something else, what is it, Carl's Jr. out west?

What's the deal people? Any others I missed?

Favorite Answer

They are not the same. They just are using the same concept and the original franchise did not go into these states fast enough. White Castles was a north-east company and did not franchise in the south. Kristal discovered an opportunity to bring the same food idea to the South and not have to pay the White Castle royalties.

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipes Cookbook - http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?wgex

Krystals is not affiliated with White Castle. Hardees and Carls Jr are however. We had a Rallys in Columbia, SC for a while but they put it in a terrible neighborhood and it got robbed on a weekly basis, lol. Wikipedia says Hardees was founded in NC and a canadian compnay that owned Carls bought them both and combined the menu but kept the names seperate.

UP Northeast We Have???

McDonalds

Dunkin Donuts

Subway

Burger King

Wendys

Starbucks

Taco Bel

Piza Hut

KFC

Dominoes

Source(s): Charles Turrisi

Well, they arent owned or ran by the same franchises or coorporations, except Hardees and Carl Jr, one bought the other out, but they are still run as two different corporations

It's due to mergers. Many restaurant chains are regional in nature (just a function of the original owners and the different types of food by regions). As companies have gotten larger, they are often bought out and merged with others.

OK WELL HERE IN MICHIGAN WE STILL HAVE WHITE CASTLE'S, RALLY'S HAS BEEN BOUGHT OUT BY CHECKERS AND THEY ARE ALL SWITCHING OVER TO THAT. HARDEE'S HAVE NOT BEEN IN MICHIGAN NOW FOR OVER 6-7 YEARS. I THOUGHT THEY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. CARL'S JR NEVER HEARD OF.

Source(s): MY SELF

krystals isnt actually white castle with a different name,, they are two different companies who sell very similar products, i imagine the others are the same way,,just copycats of the original

I have no idea. But in the south we have Arbys and in the north I think they call it Roy Rodgers.

because we like to seperate ourselves from the evil yankees Bwa hahahahahah go johnny rebs the south rocks