Can a thunderstorm lift a squirrel off a mountain and drop it on the plains 25 miles away?

Is there any evidence of small animals being carried away long distances trapped in the updraft of thunderstorm clouds?

I wonder this because I saw a squirrel that seemed lost near my work. Hardley ever see squirrels around here. About 40 miles east of Pikes Peak. We've had lots of thunderstorms. So I began to wonder if it might be possible for a small animal to be sucked into a storm off a mountain like Pikes Peak. I realize that if it were common for small things to be sucked into storms it might be raining pine cones and leaves and all kinds of stuff.

Favorite Answer

Is it possible? Yes

The odds are extremely low.

Thunderstorms have strong updrafts - air moving vertically - that can frequently pick up dust, sand, dirt, and other material from the surface. It isn't unheard of for debris to be picked up by a torando and deposited tens of miles away.

Tornadoes can do even more:

"How far do things get carried if they are lifted and carried?

The furthest distance a 1 pound object can be carried is about 100 miles. The furthest known distance a photo or piece of paper was carried was a little over 200 miles. In the Great Bend, Kansas tornado of November 10, 1915, debris from the town was carried 85 miles. After passing through the town, the tornado went through or near Cheyenne Bottoms, now a wildlife area. Hundreds of dead ducks fell from the sky 25 miles northeast of the end of the path. And after the Worcester, Massachusetts tornado of 1953, chunks of soggy, frozen mattress fell into Boston Harbor, 50 miles to the east of where it was picked up. "

i live in florida, and i go fishing and surfing alot, once i was out 30 miles from shore, when it started raining squid, shrimp, and a small fish that i dont know the name of, there was very little rain, and all the animals were weighing the boat down, so yeah, it is possible

No, thunderstorm kills it before you know it! Tornado is likely to happen, it did once lift the baby in the pram in distant away km.

No, only 10 miles, to go 25 miles it must change at 42nd st, and grab the "E" train to "Roosavelt Avenue".

Not that I am aware of, maybe wind storms or tornado such weather, but not just by the noise of thunder.

if a tornadoe can drive a piece of straw threw a tree I am sure that is possible

Why on earth do you need to know this?