Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

can my wife get financial aid or student loans if she has a degree already?

my wife filed for bankruptcy (i know spelled wrong) a few years ago, and also has recieved gov. student loans, and got an associates in business. question now is, she wants to get bachelors, but we have no money for school. working a job will take years to pay for her schooling, and she wants to go as soon as possible. Im in the military, and have my gi bill, can i transfer it to her or anything? Is there anything my wife can do to get a loan, or a grant or anything??? Help!

Favorite Answer

Yes, she can get financial aid and student loans. I have a bachelor's degree, am getting a second bachelor's degree, and I have found that I can get student loans and scholarships. I'm not eligible for some grants, but your wife doesn't have a bachelor's degree yet, so she probably still is eligible for federal and state grants. She should talk to the financial aid office of the school she wants to go to. They should be able to give her a lot of information about what she would be eligible for. Also, there is the FAFSA online that she should go ahead and fill out for free, and send it to any school that she might apply to. This will help get the ball rolling.

• Lori A

You should go get a book on financial aid. Depending on your income, she may be able to get some grants and scholarships. As to loans, that depends on what the rest of your credit looks like. If the BK is within the past few years, it is going to hurt her chances. It won't be worth borrowing if the interest rate is going to be high.

Financing an entire education with loans is a bad idea under most circumstances. Unless you will go into a very high paying career (think doctor or astrophysicist), you will be saddled with that debt for a decade or more. That will impede your lifestyle and may make it very tough to do things a young couple wants to do, like buy a house, start a family or put away enough for retirement.

So..go get the book and learn how the game is played. From what I hear (we are starting this process for my daughters), there is plenty of money out there, you just have to know how to get it.

Also talk to the school she wants to attend. Their financial aid officer is going to have a ton of great information, and their time is free.

Good luck.

Generally, full federal financial aid (loans and grants) will be available to a person until they finish their first Bachelor's Degree. I'm not sure whether bankruptcy will have an effect on her ability to receive student loans.

It sounds like your spouse will be seen a non matriculating pupil ( a pupil who isn't searching for a diverse degree). along with your spouse already having a level, she will have the ability to be ineligible for federal provides ( i'm assuming that you propose she already has a Bachelors). There are inner most loans available for non matriculating students. they're many times called “ persevering with ed loans” and could be on a agencies information superhighway web site to be marketed at a number of those students.

She can get a loan. I did.

I found some good info here

yes