Chemistry Question?

I am having trouble understanding this section in my chemistry book. Can someone please help me, with the following question and show me how to get the answer.

In an aqueous solution, if the hydronium ion concentration is 1.0

multiplied by 10 to the negative 2 power then the hydroxide ion concetration is 1.0 multiplied by 10 X where X=????

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

x = -12

Hydroxide (H+) and hydronium (OH-) are inversely related. The product of [H+][OH-] = 10^(-14). In your case, the [H+] is 10^(-2) so dividing 10^(-14) by 10^(-2) gives x, 10^(-12)

• 1 decade ago

Hydronium ion and hydroxide ion are inversely proportional. This means that the more of one you have, the less of the other.

I'm a little rusty at the math, but let have a try:

1 x 10 to the negative 2 power is scientific notation for 0.01.

If we take the inverse of this, it is 100. Or, you can just change the sign of he power (-2 becomes 2)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

once you think of with regard to the features recent in a real "soul mate" dating, what one observe comes up maximum generally on the best of your record? Is it Chemistry? probable. that's generally defined as a feeling that leaves you breathless, excited and susceptible interior the knees. arms sweat, the middle races and the physique tingles with frightened anticipation. the top maximum might-be fans come to is that in the event that they journey those extreme thoughts in the direction of somebody, they have the inspiration for an perfect and lasting dating. actual? possibly not. For this definition of chemistry is constrained to a minimum of one's actual reaction to a diverse man or woman. It lacks an entire length it fairly is residing in our values, ideals, personalities and worldview. with the intention to appreciate you have the splendid connection with a skill (or present day) companion, it is important to have a undemanding know-how of what actual chemistry includes, that encompass it. that's generally puzzling to do. This extreme, actual interest is the stuff that Oscar prevailing video clips and superb-merchandising books are created from. So, take a step back for a minute and notice in case you recognize your self. :-)

• 1 decade ago

If it is supposed to be 10 to the x, then x is negative 1

If it is just ten times x, then x is 1/100

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Hidden
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

i hate chemistry

thats why i got a 76 on the chem regents

good luck with that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.