Are Christians afraid to read The Cambridge History of The Bible?

It makes no conclusions, but it will make you think!

I dare you!

Let me know how you like it.

Favorite Answer

I've done a lot of research on the Bible. In fact, if most people researched the books and the authors they would see things are not as "mystical" as many religions would have us believe. We spend far too much time as a "church" being told what the Bible says instead of finding out for ourselves. The letters from Paul are a great example of how misconceptions in the church start because people don't read beyond the words. Paul was writing to REAL churches about REAL events - it wasn't some cloud floating over his head that gave him divine wisdom to write things down we would read 2,000 years later to help us rediscover our lives. What Paul and all the authors wrote were hardly different than many of the letters or books written today. They have divine wisdom and advice, but they aren't "mystical" holy words that shot out of a man hovering in a cloud. I wish more people would read history - especially Biblical history. History tells us why Islam hates Israel. It tells us why we have fought the same wars for thousands of years. What about the Crusades in the Dark Ages? What does history tells us about that? And isn't that part of church history and Islamic history too? I'm with you - read the history of the Bible and the world as a whole. You WILL be surprised.

• dph_40

I have read it. You're right it makes no conclusions. It does make you think. I didn't have to be dared. I found some of it to be sound and some of it to be heretical. I began the reading of it as I do any book, Heavenly Father, give me the wisdom to know what is Divine and what is not. I believe he answered that prayer. And I believe I have answered your question accordingly. It was a required reading in a theology class. I still choose to adhere to the writing of the King James Version 1611 of the scriptures.

• woolf

i'm a Christian and that i'm getting a level in history. I study it on a daily basis of my life. As for the Council of Nicaea I haven't any thought what you're conversing approximately. i've got purely complete Diarmaid MacCulloch's "The history of Christianity", and he makes no references to any of that, neither did Paul Johnson in his e book, nor did Charles Freeman in his e book "The final of the Western innovations". Even Wikipedia's article on the 1st Council of Nicaea isn't something like what you're conversing approximately. the huge argument on the Council of Niceae grew to become into whether God and Christ have been of one substance, actually the same being or grew to become into Christ subordinate to God (Arianism). the single substance human beings gained out. the different councils have been on comparable subjects yet none have been a council to be certain or vote on the divinity of Jesus Christ which by employing Niceae had already been area of the oral custom and then scripture for virtually 3 hundred years

Only the King James Version of the Holy Bible is the inspired Holy Word of God. All other books are written by fallible man.

• ?

I have read the Cambridge History of the Bible and it is interesting and i think everyone should read it.

They are not afraid, they just cannot read or think.

Ever see a Christian Book Store that sold copies of the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita or the text of another religion? Beliefs cannot handle doubt or any critical questioning. Religious leaders don't want their members to think as that always spells the end of beliefs. Scares the beejeebers out of them.

Original Bible is abolished. Only Holy Quran is in its original state. All other books are changed

Oooh I've been dared! =) Have a nice day!

A very interesting diatribe!

OK.