In proper english what is the difference between using for example:?

a) I have no place to stay.

b) I dont have a place to stay

more examples:

a) I dont have a car

b) I have no car

a) I have no idea of what happened

b) I dont have an idea of what happened

a) I have no girlfriend

b) I dont have a girlfriend.

a) I have no problem with that

b) I dont have a problem with that

Favorite Answer

Well.... if you ask me....... the main difference in all the examples you provided must have something to do with the fact that there is no such word as "dont." Unless, of course, you are Ricky Ricardo.

Sorry..... my smart aleck alter ego is on the loose again..........

Hmmm. That's a pretty good question. I think all of them are synonymous, so there is no differnce. The use of the indefinite article "a" generalize the noun (as opposed to the definite article which specifies a particular case) Stylistically, the sentences without the article are more casual and blunt. But they all communicate the same idea grammatically.

• P. M

Generally, the difference is between more formal English and more colloquial English. There is no particular grammatical problem with the "don't have" formualtion, but it is seen as more relaxed; it tends to be used much more in everyday speech.

It depends on the type of sentence fragment and what part of the sentence fragment you are using them in.

have no

do not (don't)

have = positive no = negative

do = positive not = negative

There is no difference