Boonya asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 1 decade ago

Are cantaloup, watermelon, honeydew melon related to pumpkins and other squash?

I was eating a cantaloupe and noticed how much it reminded me of a pumpkin the way the seeds were.

Favorite Answer

Yes, all those plants are closely related. All are members of the squash family: Cucurbitaceae.

Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, loofahs and most gourds are also members of the same family.

They are all members of the family cucurbitaceae. Look not only at the seeds but also the flowers, how the parts are arranged and connected to one another, numbers of parts, and where the flowers grow on the plant. Also, secondarily, the vegetative plant parts and compare one species to the others.

Source(s): B.Sc. Horticulture, 20 years in the Green Industry, identifying plants, practicing the Art of Bonsai.

As a giant pumpkin (Atlantic Giant) grower I can tell you YES they are related. You shouldn't plant them close to each other. They are like cousins. They look differant but they are still related and shouldn't be too close where the pollen can mix. It could mess up things.

Yes. They are all squashes, but technically they are fruit. Anything that comes from a blossom is a fruit whether it's a ground lying plant, shrub, or tree.

Yes, anything that grows low to the ground on a vine.

what a great question! I wish I knew the correct answer to that! I would have to say YES though!

Yes they are actually. Great observation on your part! :)