Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 1 decade ago

Should I buy a Blu Ray or HD DVD player?

Favorite Answer

It is best to wait for one to win and the price to fall. If you must chose now, Blu-Ray is the way to go. The discs hold more data plus they have the most movie industry support at this time.

The only reason some companies want HD-DVD to win is because they can use existing equipment to produce the discs. This means they are limited by existing technology. Blu-Ray is a new technology that has a lot more room for advancement.

The price will come down alot for both in about 6 monthes (particularly on blu-ray).The standard however probably won't exist for another 18-24 months. I recommend blu-ray when the prices become more reasonable because they have increased capacity (up to 100GB on quad layer disc). Blu-ray writers for computers will also allow you to carry non video files which is a big plus (you can backup an entire hard drive on one disc)

Don't buy either yet!! Wait until the prices go down and the most common standard prevails...

if you must buy one, I suggest HD DVD. But you need HD DVDs and an HDTV to watch the movies properly