elhuap2k asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

In basketball, if you make a shot from behind the backboard, would it count?

I thought i saw long time ago a great basket by a basketball player but it didn't count because it went from behind the backboard.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

NOPE

• 6 years ago

My JV Girl's team played yesterday and one of my players made an outstanding shot in which the ball came over the top of the backboard and into the basket. The shot was waved off by the ref and he said that the ball can not come from behind the backboard into the basket. Has this happened to anyone?

• 1 decade ago

Yes the basket would absoulutely count however the ball may not hit the top of the backboard and the shooter may not step out of bounds. Therefore, the only way this is possible is if you jumped behind the hoop and shot the ball while still being in the air.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The entire backboard is inside the court. As long as the player does not step out of bounds, or the ball does not go out of bounds or touch the back of the backboard, the shot is good!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well there is some space behind the plane of the backboard to the baseline so there is a possibilty of staying inbounds and getting a legal shot off. And as long as it doesn't hit the shot clock or backboard, it's legal.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As long as the player isn't touching out of bounds, and the ball doesn't touch the backboard it counts.

• barus
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

nicely, i have been gazing college basketball for the previous 26 years and that is between the worst 3 or 4 UCLA video games i have seen so a procedures because the Refs. bypass. If I were a Bruins fan, i'd be loving it. So what B- Nut. And Daniel L the full clarification why Texas choked become because the REFS. called the full interest IN UCLA'S want. You people probably have not performed crew b-ball your total lives, except perhaps on the Y.

• 1 decade ago

It does count, just as long as it doesn't touch the backboard...here's a shot where Earl Boykins shoots it over the backboard and it does count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMvDQ6IeLZk

Youtube thumbnail

• I'm not quite sure if it is possible but if it is in play, not out of bounds, and somehow doesn't touch the backboard then yes, it could count...

• 1 decade ago

No, it wouldn't count because behind the backboard is considered "out."

• Big Z
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If it doesnt HIT the back of the backboard and he wasn't out of bounds, IT COUNTS.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.