Punk Rocker asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

How can i teach my parakeet to talk?

I just go him.His name is Spanky.He is a Blue Clipped Parakeet.His instruction booklette says that parakeets love to talke.

Favorite Answer

They do like to talk but it will probably be only a couple of words or phrases. They aren't the best talkers when it comes to birds. But to get him to talk just keep repeating what you want him to learn. You could also make a recording of what you want him to say and play it over and over again while you are gone. They are good whistlers too!

All birds will talk if it is a male. The females instincs make them quiet for nesting, They do this to not let the enemy know where they are. The males however learn to say many things. As with a child it takes time and patience. I try to start mine out with big bird. As I say the word over and over I also lift my arms and they learn to asscoiate the sound with the action. But they will not learn in a few days, you must be patient.

Just talk to him lots. Repeat the same things over and over, as much as you can.

Eg. 'Good boy' , 'Hello Spanky' etc etc.

Start off simple, and he will eventually just pick up things you say a lot, and mimick the phone ringing and things. Just make sure he is always around people and things going on.

• Binky

Do you really want him talking you ear off all night!

If he speaks the way you spell, you won't understand him.

They will pick up at their own pace.

Watch the bad words, like "I love you"" and pretty bird" and vile like that. LOL

• Mr. J

keep reapeating the word u want him to see talk around him and reward him w/ a treat when he says the word close

just keep working with him. start out with little words but only do one to two words at a time until he picks it up. my gma had one and he always said hid name and i taught him how to wink

there are some good tape to teach your parakeet to talk if you don't want to teach it yourself.

with mine all I had to do was repeat like if you want him to say dog just repeat dog over and over he will catch on!

get a tape that repeats words and phrases.

just keep talking to him. repeat words.