Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

what is the appropriate way to say thank you for a cash gift in my thank you cards?

We recieved cash and gift cards as wedding presents, but I'm not sure how to phrase a thank you note.

Favorite Answer

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR "MONETARY GIFT OR GIFT CARD". WE WILL CERTAINLY PUT IT TO GOOD USE. WE WERE ALSO PLEASED THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO JOIN US CELEBRATE THIS VERY JOYOUS OCCASION.

DO NOT THANK THEM FOR "a contribution"......That sounds like they are donating for a cause!

• Rachel

You shouldn't say "Thank you so much for the gift of money" - money should never actually be mentioned. We also received money gifts for our wedding and I worded it like this, "Thank you so much for your very generous and thoughtful gift. We are putting it into a savings account for our new home." Or a vacation, or whatever applies. Just don't actually say "Thank you for the $125." It's impolite. I finished each card by saying, "We are so happy you celebrated with us on our very special day."

Proper etiquette says to alwyas thank them for their generous gift (even if it wasn't that much money) and tell them what you're going to do with the money. You don't have to say how much money, just use the word generous. We just got married and I wrote that we were putting the money towards our home and at the end I thanked them for helping us start our new life together.

• we just said thank you for the gift and told them what we put the money towards. My grandpa gave us $500 that we used for an air conditioner so we wrote "thank you very much for the money. We used it towards a new air conditioner we needed." He was glad to know it went towards something we wanted or needed. You don't have to say what its going towards, but I think its nice to let them know if say your saving for a new house or bought something nice for your home or something. That way they feel like they got you something you really wanted.

Say something along the lines of....*thank you so much for your gift for our [whatever the occasion] we were able to use it towards a new BBQ [or whatever you bought with the money]. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

[you]

Dear _____,

We would like to thank you for sharing our special day with us. It was great seeing you and we hope that you had an enjoyable time.

____ and I would also like to thank you for the gift of money. It was very generous of you. We will be using towards _______.

I agree that generosity is a nice way to put it but that you should also mention what your intentions are for the money, 'thank you for your generosity. What a thoughtful contribution to the purchase of our new home.' That sort of thing...so they know (or think) you didn't blow it :)

Thank you so much for your most generous gift, and for sharing in our most special day!

thank you for the generous gift is the best way to go.

Looks like you have some really helpful answers already! But like someone eles said "generosity" is the key word!!