Is There Sound In Outer Space?

Favorite Answer

No. Sound requires a medium to travel through, such as a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma. The only thing that travels through space is electromagnetic waves, like light, that do not require a medium.

Well, I will say 'no' with reservations and here is why: While Sound generally needs a medium to travel with (like air or water), and space has neither of these, and space IS a vacuum, it turns out that it is not a perfect vacuum. There are particles of space dust that, I believe, could technically be used by sound wave to travel, however, the amplitude of that sound would be much greater than could probably be generated either naturally OR artificially and the sound would not be very loud. After all, it wouldn't be carried by very many particles and those are very small particles.

Therefore, I will say 'NO' (for now)

Source(s): ' Density of Outer Space' on: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/DaWeiCai.shtml

Not in deep space. I take it for granted that, in saying "outer space", you're excluding the surfaces of planets with oceans, atmospheres, other materials that will carry sound waves created by disturbances. Sound requires a medium for sound waves. Where the waves exist, sound exists (regardless of the contention of some that there is no sound where they is nobody to hear it!) But perhaps a massive star explosion would create a wave-like pattern in extremely thin interstellar hydrogen, that would register on a radio transmitter so that people tuned in on a receiver might "hear" it.

Source(s): Physics texts. Except for the speculation of exploding stars creating waves in extremely rare interstellar hydrogen. It's just something I've wondered about.

No. Unlike some space movies where spacecraft and other objects make noise in the vacuum of space, a realistic depiction of this principle can be found in 2001: Space Odessy about 2/3 through the movie when Dr. Bowman has to blast himself into the airlock from space to try to renter the ship after Hal has tried to kill him. There's no noise until the airlock door closes and the airlock fills with air.

Sound can only exist if there's a medium, like gas, to carry it. In a vacuum like in outer space, there is no sound.

No. It needs a medium to travel through. Space is a vacuum, so there is nothing. Sound carries through air, water, and solids, solids being the one that carries it best.

No, there isn't sound in outer space

There is no sound in space because there is no air, water, or anything the molecules can pass through! These molecules have to vibrate to make sounds - or something like that! Sound is vibrations!

no. sound can only travel through matter. since outer space is a vacuum,sound will not travel.

• If a tree fall in a forest dose it make a sound? I don't know but I know for sure that if you were cranking up the music in space, your neighbors would not mind.