sophia k asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does my cat keep killing birds?

Favorite Answer

Cats are predators, it's in their nature to hunt and kill prey even if they have readily available food. It keeps them healthy and hones their perception...

To prevent your cat from killing so many birds "bell" your cat (put a small bell on her/his collar) so that the jingling noise alerts the birds of your cat's presence...That will cut down the "killings" by half...Also give your cat more feather toys to play with so that he/she is entertained while indoors...

Good luck!

Well-fed cats kill birds and other wildlife because the hunting instinct is independent of the urge to eat. Here are some things you can do to help:

1. Cats need a place to hide so they can watch and pounce on their prey. If possible, identify the favorite hiding places of the problem cat and screen it off or eliminate it entirely. Those that have taken this step report that they have virtually eliminated the feline problem. A cat cannot hunt successfully without cover from which to pounce, and they will seek better hunting grounds. Also, squirrels, jays, crows and other animals will sound the warning when a cat is seen, thus eliminating the element of surprise.

2. Some veterinarians suggest keeping a garden hose or powerful squirt gun handy, and if possible, giving the offending cat a good hosing down. Cats do not relish cold water, and once soaked, will judiciously avoid a second encounter with your hose.

Cats are predators, and birds are their natural prey. Even a well-fed cat will hunt - it's their instinct. You probably keep your cat well-fed, or you'd never know it killed birds (unless you saw it), because if it was hungry it wouldn't leave anything but a couple of feathers behind. Hungry cats devour birds bones-and-all.

That's its instinct. Cats hunt birds, bunnies, rodents, fish, reptiles, and all those cute animals whether you like it or not. You should really be careful of having your cat around too many place. My suggestion: don't be assuring that cats get along with all other good creatures.

I often prevent any cats getting near the cute animals I love to watch, even if it's not my cat, because it's not right. And it's your job to keep it inside.

Source(s): Me, a cat hater.

Instinct. Cats are geared to chase and pounce on anything that is small and moves fast, even if they have not been taught to hunt. I have a cat than never recieved lessons on how to hunt and kill from her mother, and she still chases down mice whenever she sees them in the house. She doesn't bite them, they die from probable heart failure when she grabs them. She doesn't go after big animals like squirrels, though, even though some cats do quite often. Animals of that size apparently do not trigger that "chase and pounce" instinct.

Because your cat likes to hunt because they ARE part of the wild cat family. It isn't bad, but I guess the cat could get a disease...I'm not sure.

They do it for fun.

Before my friend moved to CA she left me her bird she had for a very long time. It's name was koko. He couldn't fly very well because he had been in a cage so long.

Well we had to put him in the laundry room one day because we had visitors over. Then my cat opened the door, (yes she nows how--she uses her claws).

I walked into the laundry room much later to find feathers all over the place and my cat "Tiger" looking at the bloody dead bird :(

I was so mad at her and threw her out of the house. But I still love her.

This is the nature of all cats, to hunt , to kill, to eat. This has been inbred into them for eons. I hate it too, but you can't stop thousand of years of evolutionary instincts overnight. If it really bothers you, keep your little buddy indoors. Please note: you can provide your cat with food day and night, but the instincts are too strong. He/She will always want to hunt!

Instinct...birds are thier natural prey. Cats are natural predators.

it's what cats do my calico kills birds all the time and brings them to the side porch