My Kia Rio 2002 ....?

Today I was driving around in 98 degree weather and my A/C starts shooting out hot air. I just happened to glance at my temperature gauge and it was sky rocketing up. So I turned off my a/c (because it was unbearable) and miraculously the temperature gauge started to go back down to normal. Well still driving on my way home, I stop at a red light and it starts rising again, this time a/c is off. I saw another yahoo question similar to this and she/he said it was the fan motor. I'm not sure if this is similar ... please help me out. I'm a broke college kid and I can't afford to get swindled by some mechanic trying to make a quick buck off some girl.

Update:

ok so everyone agrees it's my thermostat that needs to be replaced, i had one very nice guy im me earlier who walked me through some troubleshooting, i'd just like to say thanks, didn't get his name : ( but i'm going to buy this thermometer and see how my car likes it ^_^ thanks everyone!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

replace the thermostat it sounds like it is sticking closed and not letting enough coolant into the engine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.