Sammyleggs222 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If your dog is sprayed by a skunk, what is the best remedy to "de-scent" your pet?

My dog spends most of the day outside on her large yard run area. In the evening we walk and sometimes hear rustling in bushes: could be racoons, skunks, etc....she is curious and I make sure she does not explore the movement....The other day she chased a chipmunk and got it on the road as it jumped out of a mailbox planted area... Just wondering what other people do/would do from experience or knowledge. What do you feel is the best way is to cut/de-scent the skunk spray if a dog gets a direct hit. Heard about Tomato juice baths, lemon, special scent cutters.....please name products or methods. Most appreciative for the info...hopefully will not have to use the info in the future....we are careful to avoid the darker bushy areas.

Thanks all!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Gat a bucket

Mix into it

2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide

1/2 cup baking soda

a squirt of liquid dish soap.

Sponge over dog and let sit for 10-15 mintues rinse wll with plain water.

My dogs get skunked about once every couple of months and this works far better than anything else I have tried.

Forget the tomato juice thing this is way better.

Source(s): I am a dog trainer

My brothers dog was sprayed by a skunk once, while visiting. Time was the best remedy. However, bathing in tomato juice was a country remedy that we tried and it helped, as did the carpet cleaner Resolve in addition to the bath. Eventually we gave the dog a very short hair cut too.

Tomato juice does not get rid of the skunk odor. All it does is neutralizes the smell so it is not as strong.

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap

Mix in a bucket (it will fizz).

Soak your dog's fur, but be careful not to get any in his eyes.

Use a sponge to clean off his head and around his eyes.

Knead solution into the fur and be sure to get every part of him with it.

Rinse thoroughly.

or

1 cup of vinegar

1 cup hydrogen peroxide

1 cup of dish soap

Lather WELL, add water until a good thick coat of lather is worked up and let sit for 10 minutes.

Rinse well, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar in 1 gallon of water to rinse and leave on.

or1 pint hydrogen peroxide

2/3 cup baking soda

1 tablespoon of citrus-based liquid soap

Sponge mixture onto the dog's fur.

Let sit two to five minutes then rinse with plain water.

Second batch may be needed. Use fresh ingredients.

or2/3 water

1/3 organic apple cider

Rinse the dog thoroughly, be careful of his eyes

These are recipes i keep on hand in case my dogs get sprayed. The first recipe i have used and it did work

I've heard the best way to help a sprayed person or pet by a skunk is to bathe in tomato sauce. Go to costco and buy the big can of it and put it in the bath tub and just rub it all over...it's supposed to work.

I know of a product that works very well. It is an enzyme based product that will actually 'eat' the odor causing source. You use warm water and the product. Let me know if you are interested in it, I can give you a website with more information and a place to buy it....my email is greenguy at yahoo

(I'm not 'allowed' to mention products here, read the community guidelines)

Tomato juice works will, its what we used on my mother when she got on the wrong side of a skunk

the same way we get ride of skunk juice use tomato sauce, tomato paste , or a professional product.

• dudash

Labrador Retriever : Few breeds so richly deserve their acceptance because the Labrador retriever. dedicated, obedient and amiable, the Lab is reliable with children, different dogs and different pets. it is going to likely be a relaxed homestead dogs, playful backyard dogs and extreme field dogs, all on a similar day. that is raring to delight, enjoys attending to comprehend and excels in obedience. that is a effectual breed that likes to swim and retrieve. Labradors are lively and sociable dogs. they choose on a daily basis workout. • existence span: 10 – 12 years Boxer- The boxer is playful, exuberant, inquisitive, attentive, demonstrative, dedicated and outgoing; that is a suitable spouse for an lively relatives. it ought to correctly be obdurate, although that is delicate and conscious of instructions. it ought to correctly be aggressive in route of unusual dogs, although that is often reliable with different relatives dogs and pets. . It likes to run, yet its workout needs is also met with a competent jog or a lengthy walk on leash. It does not do properly in warm climate and is often unsuited to residing outdoors. It does merely excellent even as allowed to divide its time between a house and backyard. some snore. Its coat needs in ordinary words occasional brushing to eliminate lifeless hair. • existence span: 8 – 10 years Bearded Collie- The boisterous beardie is lively and playful, finished of enthusiasm and means. that is sensible and obedient, although that is an self sufficient logician with a clownish humorousness. It likes children, even though it ought to correctly be too rambunctious for small children and ought to attempt to herd them even as taking section in. This lively dogs needs both a competent jog, an really lengthy walk or a lively play consultation each day. It highly enjoys herding. The beardie can stay outdoors in cool climates, although that is happier even as allowed get entry to to the homestead with its relatives. Its lengthy coat needs brushing or combing another day. VERY healthful! • existence span: 12 – 14 years

i think tomato paste bath is the remedy ? im not 100% sure do more research dont want to give a bad answer

oatmeal bath or tomato juice bath the onyl way to get out.