Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Who knows what underground hip hop stands for? I mean what are the values. Why do artists stay underground?

Why wouldn't an underground emcee want to become world famous and make even more money?

"because they think that is selling out and he will be influenced by the industry and he might lose supporters. many underground MCs think that people like 50 Cent are sell outs and so they won't buy their music. underground artists are trying to stay loyal to their fans and the hood."

I don't think that 50 cent is worried about his sales. Thats my point... the mainstream sells records.

Favorite Answer

i dont know i actually asked my self that question.

because they think that is selling out and he will be influenced by the industry and he might lose supporters. many underground MCs think that people like 50 Cent are sell outs and so they won't buy their music. underground artists are trying to stay loyal to their fans and the hood.

I think its also a question of context. The major labels, as well as radio stations know that the "mainstream formula" i.e. 16 bars and a catchy hook. sells. A lot of underground hip-hop is more lyric based, and takes more time to absorb. Kids have no attention span, so, mainstream works by bringing back the hook so repetitively. I think that underground is not just an attitude towards fame, it is an entire aesthetic, you could even make the argument that it is a different genre of music.

Underground Hip-Hop is here to do something- Send a message. Original hip-hop was written by people wanting to express the oppression of their culture. ( Not necessarily black, but Latino as well ). Once an artist goes mainstream they go from being a lyrical expressionist to becoming a Superstar. I mean, don't get me wrong- having Ferrari's, houses, and plane's might be nice for some; its not for people who are trying to make a difference. They have a different cause, a different look on life. Going mainstream you loose that fire, that passion; all you get, are the Benjamin's baby.

I don't know much about Hip Hop but I assume it's for the same reason punk bands stay underground, so they won't become sell outs.

I don't think that they want to stay underground. . .but if they do, maybe it's because they like the life they live. They may not want the fame or the money, and just want to make music. Some just like to recognized, not idol-ed.

Plus every underground hip hop singer may not be that good to make it "big". =)

because they are afraid of the light........