Does soaking the ground with water really make it easier to dig?

Or just wet and still all compacted and hard? I'm having a heck of time digging a hole for a new mailbox post right now.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it does make it easier to dig, but you have to do it the right way. Yes there is a right and wrong way of digging a hole when using water. The right way is, once you get the hole started, let the water run VERY slow into the hole for a minute or so to for the water to have time to soak into the ground. While the water is still running slow into the hole, try to dig some more.If you let the water run in to fast, your going to have a lot of mud on your hands. Since the ground is so hard it is going to take awhile for the ground to soak up enough water so that you can dig out the dirt. I know what I'm talking about here as I have dug a lot of holes on this little farm that I live on. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Soaking the ground 24 to 72 hours prior to digging will help loosen the soil and make digging easier. However, digging may be heavy and sticky in clay soil.

• 1 decade ago

Depends on the type of soil.

Sand is easy to dig wet or dry, but you get more per shovel wet than dry. Wet sand is heavier so you might think that it is harder.

Gravely soil is hard no matter what.

Clay created capillary suction when wet and is fairly hard to dig. Dry clay is brick like though.

The best thing to do is hire someone else to do it if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

• 1 decade ago

it depends on what kind of dirt you're trying to dig in. If it's red clay--DON'T wet it! Some types of dirt become easier to dig in when wet. Do you have a shovel or a post hole digger?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Absolutely, when you wet the ground it causes erosion, making the ground softer and easier to dig up.

• wetter it gets it becomes more viscous so it'll be like digging up fudge as opposed to digging up cement. so water it until it turns mushy, start digging and wait until the water hole dries and continue with your mailbox installation

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

thats how you dig post holes with some water

• 1 decade ago

it makes it easier to dig but also muddier, so its hard to deal with the excavated dirt.

Source(s): experience
  • 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

use a pick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.