legality of arrest cont'd...?

Was I wrong to shoplift 2 years ago? Yes, but that's not the point of my question. In fact, if I had known there were charges pressed against me, I would have turned myself in years ago when the event occurred, as opposed to being embarrassed beyond belief when the officer told me to put my hands behind my head. What I was asking was if the arrest was legal on the part of the LEO. My date and I were just hanging out enjoying each others company, and were more than helpful to the police officer who asked us if we had seen anything.

Sooo, I guess my new question is Are police legally able to just run plate numbers and background checks at will, even if they have no reason to suspect me of doing anything?

And yes, when I was 17, I stole a 5 dollars worth of merchandise and this is what happened. For all the youth and adults out there who have thought about taking something, don't do it, its never worth it.

Favorite Answer

Yes the police are allowed to run plate numbers and check for outstanding warrants at will.

If you think about it, you will realize that some people who know that there are warrants against them will LIE. I know that sounds preposterous, but they will actually lie to police to avoid arrest. If the police can not rely upon the information in the databases, then what is the use of having them?

On the other hand, if the police officer just ran a check on you because she thought you were hot and wanted to find out about you, that would be unethical and it would have gotten her in trouble. But dong a "Field investigation" is, and has always been, a legitimate police technique.

Yes, the police are allowed to run plates without any specific reason. Your plate number is public knowledge, as is any record or outstanding warrants.

You didn't explain what was going down, but from what you did post something had happened and the police were gathering information. Part of that is typically running the tags on every vehicle in the area and is part of normal police procedure.

Yes the police can in general run your plates anytime they want.

For example, there was a call about cars in that area, when they arrived they say you parked there, ( they did not know that you were not part of the cars causing the problem) next it is standard procedure also to call in any car plate fo people they are going to talk to.

If you had been a killer and killed them, if they had not called the stop in, they would not know who did it.

Most likely they called your plates in before they walked up to your car and got the report when they got back to thier car.

And you could have helped drag a person out of a burning building, but if they had a warrant out for you, they have to arrest you.

Hell yes, it is illegal to run plate numbers and background checks at will, however, how do you know that your pitcher was not posted on the security desk, or someone in security remembered you from the age of 17 when you committed the crime?

Yes, police can run tag numbers and people's information at will. They want to know who they are dealing with, even if you were helpful to them.

• Greg P

yes, police often run plates, when you see them chilling on the road, if they dont have their radar guns out, they can randomly run plates. Also, they run your record every time they take your ID to their car.

Yep it is quite legal. Did you forget that saying? If you can't do the time don't do the crime. You committed a crime and you want sympathy when you get arrested?

.they can do just about anything....but u shouldn't steal..