Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

kido asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 decades ago

in the movie (cast away)?

in the movie (cast away) in the last scene tom hanks wrote on a papaer(this package saved my life..thanks you)

what he meant by that?

and also at the end after the lady told him about the road he stand and look what does that mean?

• Sir J
    2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

The package was the only one he did not open. The drive to deliver it was one thing that kept him going. He liked the design drawn on the outside of it, so he kept looking at it. She was an artist.

At the end he was at the crossroads leading back to the artist's house. He ended up driving back toward her house.

On the TV show "Inside the Actor's Studio", Tom Hanks was asked what he thought happened to his character and he said he "absolutely" went back to the sculptor/artist and lived happily ever after.

• 2 decades ago

It has been a LONG time since I saw the movie, but I remember it this way. On the island he did not open the last package. For him it represented hope. As long as he didn't open it there was still a chance he could deliver it. If he opened it he would be giving up and admitting to himself that he would never get off of the island. The package had an angel on it. The angel was the logo for the woman's business. After he asked for directions as the woman left he noticed the same angel logo on her vehicle. He then stood at the crossroads of his life. Going one direction would mean leaving all that had happened before behind him and beginning an unknown future. This is represented by the open road. We know what is down the other road, the woman's house. The angel logo took on the symbolism of a guardian angel on the island and now he had met the flesh and blood imbodiment of that spirit of hope. She was an artist which represented freedom. However if he were to go back to her house there would be a price to pay. We are to assume they would fall in love and live together forever, but think what that would mean to a man that had just spent so long in isolation. Here is the woman that fate had selected for him, but she had chosen to live a solitary life in an extremely isolated location. If he goes to her he must once again leave the world behind. Now if I recall correctly that is where we leave him. Standing at the crossroads. I like to think he went.....

• 2 decades ago

That was the only package he did not open on the island. It was something that kept him going and something to live for along with the thought of getting back to his wife. Also the winged symbol was a lot like angel wings, which was like a symbol of hope.

The road was a crossroad, which represented a crossroad in his life and he had to choose what road he now wanted to take.

2 decades ago

If I remember right, Tom Hanks used something that was in that box a little after he washed ashore.

As for the roads part, that was supposed to symbolize Tom Hanks wondering what he was going to do with his life (what road he'd walk down) since Helen Hunt had moved on..

• 2 decades ago

It means that he never opened the package. He wanted to get it to it's rightful owner, so he waited till he got saved. And he looks at the road that he thought he'd never see. I think that's what I got out of it.

• 2 decades ago

That package was his reason to survive, he had to deliver it. That's my interpretation. He stands and looks down the road to where she lives, there is still hope for him (after his true love married another).

2 decades ago

Ok...Just to set you straight since you are getting lots of very different answers.........That was the package with the design on it, and he made up his mind to return it. That gave him a purpose. So thats what the note meant.

• 2 decades ago

I think the package might have represented a purpose for him - to deliver it, and I was confused by the ending too.

• 2 decades ago

i dont know what the lady meant but for the package i think it gave him hope to go on and not give up maybe?

2 decades ago

The package had Wilson the ball in it