Beyond it's legalistic dogma, is Christianity still a valid place to grow the spirit?

I have never been much of a believer. Even growing up in church, I had trouble buying into everything I heard in Sunday school. I asked why alot. Eventually when I left home, I left the church and never went back. Years later I was introduced to Buddhist meditation. Since then I have begun to want learn more about Christianity. In meditation, as I have come to understand, there is no faith or believe. What helps your spirit you keep and what doesn't help is tossed aside. This way one eventually begins to have sense of calm and you begin to have deep since of spirit. Instead of just saying what you believe, you begin to experience a deep wisdom. This wisdom is not just words, it is in your bones. I have not found this to be true of Christianity. The longer I stay with meditation however, I want to learn more about my Christian roots, no matter how shallow they might be. Are there forms of Christianity that address this no nonsense approach to the spirit.

Favorite Answer

I think you are already on a good path.

I am an ordained elder of the Presbyterian church (no longer active). I truly thought I wanted to do that. However, I discovered (in my old age) that people are sheep. They are also in desperate need of belonging to a group or a label. This is how I visualize church. A bunch of mindless followers, trying to follow a bunch of rules made up just for them (albeit unsuccessfully), and being in constant depression about not being able to achieve perfection so they stop trying. Does that confuse? If so, I'm sorry. It's such an emotional thing for me.

I believe that Jesus is the Christ. I guess that makes me Christian. I try to make decisions on the "What Would Jesus Do?" suggestion. However, I do not attend church anymore. I don't need to -- I take Christ with me everyday.

My soul searches for answers to a lot of questions in order for me to move on spritually. I have found wisdom in your words. We seek the same knowledge.

If you find a book or speaker or anything that will help you get past the nonsense, please let me know. I'm looking for a serious approach to making sense of all of this. I'm not interested in reading or studying the Bible anymore -- I've done that. Perhaps I need to experience Buddhist meditation next. Thank you!

The closest thing to meditation within the Christian Community can be found in Monasticism. Though one should not throw something out of a viable faith if it doesnt correspond with a personal worldview. Just because something doesnt fit with our worldview doesnt mean it doesnt fit with God's or His Will. Undrestanding the roots of the faith will enable you to grow deeper within Christ. Christian Meditation is not the same as Buddhist. In prayer and contemplation upon the Mysteries of the Trinity, Christ birth, death and resurrection, the mystery of the Eucharist (communion), and other holy things is where you will find true enlightenment and progress in your spiritual walk, but at some point faith and trust in God and His Word must override any sense of doubt. I would suggest reading the works of the Anti-Nicene Fathers, those disciples of the disciples who lived prior the 325 AD to start the journey.

It may well be the worst place. You are already on a better track for enhancing your spirit life. If you want to learn how Christianity got so far off the mark I suggest you read "lost christianites" by Bart D. Ehrman It does a real good job in showing the way things got the way they are today.

If you got this far on your own you must be a thinker. I suggest you try to find a copy of the course in miracles. It is like hooking up a direct wire to spirit. Nothing can assist you in growing in spirit faster. Give it a shot. It could cut your stay by several lifetimes.

True christianity is not legalistic. Avoid denominationalism.

Study the Bible and seek to be filled with the Holy Ghost.

You will get the answers you are looking for.

John 7:38,39, Acts 2:4,28,39.

i believe that almost any path can be the right you-you can be christian-ie-follow the teachings of jesus-and be a very spiritual person-not a bad way to live-keep the peace old hippie here

in my opinion it varys extremely. some variations of christianity are very a lot a faith and little or no about spirituality. even if some variations of christianity that arent religous in any respect. i have understand some who dont bypass too a church on account that, although theirr christians and they believe in god they dont believe organised faith is the right way for them too hit upon their spirituality.