pjcswart asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

en passant?

where does this chess term come from

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    En passant (from French: "while [the pawn is] passing") is a maneuver in the board game of chess. The en passant rule applies when a player moves a pawn two squares forward from its starting position, and an opposing pawn could have captured it if it had only moved one square forward. The rule states that the opposing pawn may then capture the pawn as if it had only moved one square forward. The resulting position is the same as if the pawn had only moved one square forward and then the opposing pawn had captured as normal. En passant must be done on the very next turn, or the right to do so is lost. The move is unusual in that it is the only occasion in chess in which a piece captures but does not move to the square of the captured piece. In chess notation, en passant captures are sometimes denoted by "e.p." or similar, but that isn't required.

  • 1 decade ago

    It is french for "In Passing", as in "my pawn attacked you as you were passing by".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.