travel/tourism careers?

i am looking for individuals who have a career in the travel/tourism industry. I am wondering what your job is, and what you did to get there.

• Laika
    Favorite Answer

Where are you from? :)

I'm a Tourism graduate and I'm telling you that Tourism is the biggest industry in any country. Tourism has different sectors: hotel industry, resort industry, airline industry, travel agency, MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions, and events) industry, cruise ship industry, management and even IT industry. The choices are limitless, you just have to know what kind of job you like. :)

Well with the ease of technology tourism and travel industry also influence from it. Now no one go for a travel agent for ticket booking or tour booking. Now with the advance technology people uses travel applications, websites to book a tour. Many travel related companies also provides cheap package and offers to it's customers.

I went to Travel School and spent almost 15 years in the industry; first as a travel agent, later as a manager. I got out of the business over a year ago because it has changed dramatically. There aren't the jobs there used to be and the jobs that now exist aren't the "fun, independent" jobs people imagine. Most companies now use huge call centers with "order takers" rather than skilled travel agents. It's hard for the highly trained and skilled agents to stay in business and make money with technology and call centers "doing it cheaper."