Lis asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

My doctor is afraid that if I stop taking my meds to get prego that I will have a relapse of my leukemia.help?

I am currently in remission with my leukemia. I have a 1 year old who is going to turn 2 soon. I really want another child but am afraid of the consequences of stopping my meds. I would have to stop my meds in order to get pregnant and would not be able to continue my meds until my second trimester. Going off my meds can mean that my cancer will come back stronget than the medicine can tolerate and I could die. What should I do? I really want my son to have a sibling to grow up with.

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, my father had leukemia. He is now going on 6 yrs without a trace of it coming back after a sucessfull stem cell transp. This is def. something I would talk to your doctor. If there's a chance that the cancer will come back and even stronger, is that something you relaly want to chance. I know you want a sibling for your current son to grow up with. But what if the pregnancy doesn't go as planned. Worse yet you end up with 2 sons, NO MOTHER! Please talk to a medical professional!

And take care! :)

Maybe you need to think about this: Would you rather your son to have a sibling or a mom?

Have you considered adoption? There are thousands of brave teen-age girls who lovingly give up their baby to families who want children.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. But I think that your biggest responsibility is to the son you have now. He should be your first priority. Many, many, many children grow up happily as an only child.

Good luck to you.

have you considered adoption. it is a great way to expand your family, your child gets a sibling, you get to stay on your meds and another child gets a loving home. think it over.

i think you should go to another doctor and get a second opinion. Don't take just one doctors advice. i think, once you get that information you'll need to weigh the benefits of having a child against the risk of your cancer returning.

Have you considered adoption?