caveyswife asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Lab with Chronic Yeast infections in ears?

My lab has chronic yeast infections in her ears. We have gone to the vet numerous times. They have given us medicine to treat them, and cleanser to clean them. Nothing seems to work. Anyone with experience try anything unusual that worked? I hate going to the vet every month.

She's never in the water except to get a bath. When we bathe her we dry her ears out really well and then clean them and dry them again.

Favorite Answer

If your dog has a Yeast infection, antibiotics will not help! Yeast is a fungus! You need a anti fungal. DO NOT clean your dogs ears out everyday, this only washes away the natural antibodies. Wash them out once and then just apply the medication daily. Do NOT put any kind of power in your dogs ears, this will not dry them out and anything with a fragrance will only make things worse. You do need to dry the dogs ears after swimming or bathing. Get something from your vet or groomer (I am a groomer, and we always use a medicated cleanser on dogs after we bath them to dry out the ear) or you can use Swim ear. This is what people use in their ears after swimming. Drying them out with a cloth doesn't even begin to get down in the ear canal. After drying out the ear canal with Swim ear or something from your vet. Apply the anti fungal to the ear canal. You might try some Lotramin (Generic from Walmart is about 3.00) it is a anti fungal. It is for athletes feet which is also a fungus. Put a few drops in every day. I am highly allergic to mold (which is also a fungus) I use Lotramin in my own ears. My doctor told me about it. Same as perscription med. but cost so much less.

Also, give your dog about 1/2 cup of plain Yogurt a day when the ears are infected. Yogurt has good bacteria that will help fight the yeast. Or if your dog doesn't like yogurt try 1/2 cup of buttermilk! Both of these things will build up immunities to yeast.

Come on people, if you don't know the answers shut up! You will only make the problem worse!

2

Source(s): Yeast Infection Cure Secrets - http://YeastCure.trustdd.com/?NaVx

Make sure that you are not giving him any steroids!! Yeast infections are caused by swimming and not getting the ears totally dry after. You can keep them dry by always having a face cloth to dry them with. also some talc powder, this really dries them. CLEAN her ears daily when she gets an infection with a 1/2 &1/2 water and apple cider vinagar. Apple cider vinager is an anti bacterial so it will keep the yeast from comming back. (It will also combat mites) GOOD LUCK!!

Source(s): Holistic Vet Practice

It is not contagious but can be environmental. Yeast grows where it's warm and wet, cleaning your dogs ears consistently(once or twice weekly) with a good quality cleaner will help dry them out and prevent infections. Infections are very common, especially this time of year. Preventative cleaning is the only way to keep ahead of them, and when you catch them early, they don't become as red and painful.

If your dog in swimming you may have to dry out her ears all the time. If it is not from the wet I have seen that they can do a surgery to open up the ear canals so they get more air into them and dry out better. It is mostly done on the spaniel type breeds with long hairy ears.

But one of the things it was done for was chronic ear infections.

Ask your vet if they have heard of ot or done it. If not get a second opinion.

Good luck.

Source(s): I am a dog trainer

Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast : http://www.YeastCured.com/

You should be cleaning her ears daily with a solution made for that problem, even when she does not have an infection. Your vet might want to give her anesthesia and do a deep cleaning.

Yeast Infection Freedom System : http://YeastCured.uzaev.com/?itEG