strange insect???

I have removed two really ugly bugs that were embedded in my Yorkies hair. Each was in then neck area. I have no idea what these were, but they were nasty looking?!

Each looked kinda like a bean, light tan in color with very short legs on the underside. there were about 8 legs and were very short.

If I woud have squeezed these bugs, they probably would have popped like a zit.

Does anyone know what they could have been and how they got there? She spends a lot of time in the driveway, hanging out in the sun so I suspect that is where she got them, but I dont know. The bugs seemed to have been sucking on her skin because she has a little break out on her neck where one was. Do you think that this bug is harmful??

thanks for your input...

Favorite Answer

it sounds a lot like a tick. and yes they are gross. my dog tends to get them too. there are all kinds of ticks and unfortunately there are quite a few taht carry the fatal Lyme disease. you may have already disposed of them but for future reference, try to put them in a zip lock bag and identify them. that way you know if they are carriers of lyme disease. the good news is that it takes a full 48 hours of a tick being embedded to contract lyme disease. the bad news is by the time you notice them its probably been a couple days. also, when you pull them out of the skin make sure you get the full insect. they tend to bury their head/jaws into the skin so they dont come out easily. i've heard of lighting a match and then blowing it out so it's still hot but not ignited. and touching it to the end of the bug. it should wiggle itself free just enough for you to pull it out. if it gets to be a problem you might want to invest in a flea and tick repelent that a vet can recommend to you. i've heard "frontline" works well.

They sound like ticks. They are normally very small, but as they suck their host's blood, they become engorged and get really fat. Do a google image search to see if that's what they are. They're normally not that big of a deal - our dog used to get them all of the time. I don't know if dogs can get lyme disease, but our dogs never got sick from them.

It's probably a tick. We have lots of deer ticks here. Consult your vet on the rash. Depending on where you live they could have Lime Disease or Rocky Mtn Spotted fever.

That sounds like ticks to me! That's not good as they carry some icky stuff. You might want to call your vet an see if he or she thinks you should bring your little one in. Also, call a exterminator because if they bite you, you could get sick as well.

Sounds like a tic. They're blood suckers. They not harmful unless they are transmitting a disease along with the bite. They ARE gross, though.

ticks, thay can carry lime diseases witch are harmful sometimes fatal to humans.

Sounds like a tick they suck blood.And can make you very sick