Own a row house in Phila, USA, with a tree on street. Am I legally responsible if a branch falls on a car?

The tree is on the pavement, on a street full of row houses. I did not plant it. When I bought the house it was already fully grown. Recently, a branch fell on a car parked in front on the street. The owner is holding me responsible for damages. Am I leaglly responsible? Isn't the City goverment supposed to own and trim trees on public streets? Thanks for any advice.

Favorite Answer

No, you're not responsilbe. The city is so the owner of the car needs to contact them because there is nothing that you can do about it unless you cut the branch and it landed on the car which isn't the case. I suggest them take teir issues to the city.

You will probably have to find out where your property line ends to know exactly who is responsible. Usually the city owns the strip of land next to the sidewalk/street and would be responsible but that may not be the case. You will have to make a few calls to find out. I used to live in Levittown. How's Pat's Steaks doing? I sure miss the cheesesteaks out here.

• Tim

It probably really depends on Philadelphia's laws... some of the previous answers have said yes because it's on your property, but in my town in Ohio, the land between the sidewalk and the street is not ours. It belongs to the city. Curiously, we're required to mow it, but anything done to the trees on this land has to be done by the city, so we are not legally responsible. I would contact your city government, and ask them, since it seems this varies from city to city.

A landowner is only responsible for damages to others that result from his failure to take reasonable care (negligence). A landowner who knowing fails to remove a diseased or dangerous tree from his property could be held responsible if the tree falls and damages someone's property. Healthy trees do not generally pose a hazard to neighbors or others on the property.

• hickie

No Terrorists No Racism No Recession No same sex marriages No Rape No devil No organic disaters No international Warming No international starvation No professional recreation Lockouts No new child Abuse, No Animal Abuse, No lady Abuse extra more not pricey prices on nutrients, gas, clothing, Electronics & etc WWE and TNA rebranded as 'total Nonstop international Wrestling' Lance Bass, Reichen Lehmkuhl, Spencer Duhm, Sam Champion and Matt Dallas residing as women persons GSN divide into 2 channels(GSN classic and GSN present day) with the aide of project television, Fremantlemedia, Fremantlemedia Australia, Viacom, Seven community, BBC, Channel 4(uk), CBS, Warner Bros, NBCUniversal and Sony photos Televison Comcast digital, structure digital and AT&T U-verse united jointly as one large us of a's digital cable televison lots of the total earth's panorama will be comparable to the Nineteen Eighties and Nineties

• Yes, you are responsible for anything that happend in front of your property. You did not planted, but you have the choice before to buy it to get rid of or to keep it. That the law.

Source(s): none

I'm sure you'll find out it was your tree. Sorry, you'll be paying the damages. If there are anymore get them trimmed or cut down.

Source(s): where I live if there are trees in front of your home between the sidewalk and the street, it's yours. It doesn't matter who planted it.

Depending on the circumstances, you could be responsible or not. Turn it into your liability carrier and let them make the decision.

no it was an act of god so there fore you are not responsible for the damages.but it is also in the right of way for the city.