Why would an in ground, concrete swimming pool try to pop up out of the ground?

We emptied our large, in ground, concrete swimming pool to clean it. My husband became ill and we left the pool empty for about 2 months. One day, we notice one end was trying to come up out of the ground! Pool experts said to fill it with water immediately and maybe it would settle back into the ground. It did... show more We emptied our large, in ground, concrete swimming pool to clean it. My husband became ill and we left the pool empty for about 2 months. One day, we notice one end was trying to come up out of the ground! Pool experts said to fill it with water immediately and maybe it would settle back into the ground. It did for the most part but, of course, damage (cracks, patio concrete, etc...) had already happened. Now, we are afraid to take the water out for repairs. Any suggestions?