Submiting novels, manuscripts, etc. to Sci-Fi Channel?

I have a novel called "Tears Of Fire" which I wrote and had published briefly through an outfit called American Book Publishing in 2001, under the name Carl E. Ritchie. I bought all the rights back for it, and would like to see this story made into a screenplay, a "Sci-Fi Pictures Original" perhaps. Anyone know how or who I could contact? Reviews from readers who bought it and posted at Amazon.com can still be viewed.

Favorite Answer

"Sci Fi Pictures" seems to be the place listed for the company which did a few of the "Originals".

Most channels buy completed projects and very seldom create their own product. A link below leads to movies the Sci Fi channel is involved with and calling originals. Using the site imdb, you can look each title up - and under the "company credits" area, you can see what companies were involved with each production.

The sad part is most companies (for legal and liability reasons mostly) won't read what you have written if you don't have an agent representing you; the reply in print or via phone will have the phrase "we don't accept unsolicited material".

There is a great book out there which can help you sidestep some of these issues or at least show you the most professional way to go about things - including query letter examples.

The title is "The Complete Book of Scriptwriting" by J. Michael Straczynski. There are actually a few editions with differentiating areas of depth...but the overall content is the same with each.

If you didn't have an agent and/or manager, there is a great book which demystifies much of the process and steps to take.

This title is "The Screenwriter's Guide to Agents and Managers" by John Scott Lewinski. On top of that, there is some great legal information in the back of the book along with a couple sample templates.

An advantage you DO have - since you are the author of the book - is possibly optioning the material to another party. Often authors will give a two year option and they make money by letting other people attempt to make a project based off the material; and if filming doesn't finish...or a screenplay can't be completed by a certain time, then all rights can default back to you. If a couple different people try and fail to get the project off the ground, you could end up having money to help finance it yourself possibly. ;)

I can't say this is legal advice or a sure thing obviously, but I have seen a few scenarios similar to this play out.

Sorry I can't help any more, but maybe this can give you a better idea of how you can go about things.