How do I get rid of the New Car Smell?

I just bought my first new car and can't stand the smell! Everyone says leave the windows down etc...but we have been having rain and sudden storms for weeks and I do not want to ruin my new car! HELP!

Favorite Answer

Use the car alot- then it won't be new! Seriously though, use Febreze "air effects" spray- I have found it is one of the best air freshners I have ever used. It smells great and lasts long too.

The so called "new car smell" is not actually a scent. But it is the releasing of chemicals from all the new plastics, resins, material, etc.

Either you can place scent cans in the car, buy them at any local auto parts store. The little metal cans with pull tops work the best.

If you have access to either an ionizer machine or an Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image, you can place these in the car with it closed up.

It will remove most of the smell but in turn leave an indoor swimming pool smell in its place.

No matter what path you choose, you will retain this smell for at least up to 6 months in the car as the plastics and parts continue to release. This is also that odd, greasy film you see on the windows in new cars.

If you smoke, that WILL over ride the smell otherwise scent cans and windows down is really your best option.

Source(s): Automotive Cosmetics Expert

Try Renuzit or Fabreeze, spray on the interior of the car.

Just a couple of cigarettes with the a/c on... that should do it. But most folk are trying to get that smell back.

Have 6 of your best friends over and throw a party in it, and by the next day your golden.

I think that is a great smell, but you could try smoking in it with all the windows rolled up and see if someone would throw up in it. That worked for my car. It smells like sh*t now. Good luck.

spary feebrez (sp), perfume, or colone....or get a stinky person to sit in it...jking

Sleep in it for a few days

Spill milk on the carpet

get a dog

• Samuel

go fishing...