promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
AK asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What is the cure for parkinson's disease? How can it be reversed and completely cured?

One of my best friend has Parkinson's disease going into 4th or 5th year. He is taking medication to control movement and the dosage is now up to 15 pills a day. Is there a cure/treatment for this disease? What can be done to reverse it? Are there any therapies to halt this disease? Are there any herbal suplements?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no cure for Parkinson's disease. When symptoms grow severe, doctors usually prescribe levodopa (L-dopa), which helps replace the brain's dopamine (the cause of involuntary movements is due to the decreased dopamine levels). In patients who are very severely affected, a kind of brain surgery known as pallidotomy has reportedly been effective in reducing symptoms. Another kind of brain surgery, in which healthy dopamine-producing tissue is transplanted into the brain, is also being tested.

Gene therapy offers great potential for PD and many other brain disorders. With this type of therapy, viruses are engineered to deliver genes that increase the supply of dopamine, prevent cell death, or promote regeneration of neurons.

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is a surgical procedure used to treat a variety of disabling neurological symptoms—most commonly the debilitating symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (PD), such as tremor, rigidity, stiffness, slowed movement, and walking problems. The procedure is also used to treat essential tremor, a common neurological movement disorder. At present, the procedure is used only for patients whose symptoms cannot be adequately controlled with medications.

DBS uses a surgically implanted, battery-operated medical device called a neurostimulator—similar to a heart pacemaker and approximately the size of a stopwatch—to deliver electrical stimulation to targeted areas in the brain that control movement, blocking the abnormal nerve signals that cause tremor and PD symptoms.

Some people are not able to undergo deep brain stimulation surgery to alleviate their Parkinson’s disease symptoms. For these people, a non-invasive surgical approach — like gamma knife surgery — might be beneficial. While gamma knife is not as effective as deep brain stimulation, it does offer another treatment option for some patients. The gamma knife is a machine that emits hundreds of powerful, highly focused gamma radiation beams. The gamma knife allows for a more precise and concentrated treatment than do other radiation treatment options. This helps the doctors target the diseased area of the brain while sparing the surrounding healthy areas. Gamma knife treatment has up to a 70 percent to 90 percent success rate, which depends on the patient and the disorder for which he or she is being treated.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Parkinson's Reversing Breakthrough?

• Angus.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Parkinson is caused by a nervous disorder and the only cure may be with having surgery on your brain cell but there is no proof in the pudding for that yet.. Read about Micheal J. Fox and what he is going through.

• 1 decade ago

At the current time, there is no cure, but with famous people like Michael J Fox suffering from it, I suspect that there is a lot of research being done it, it may well be too late for your friend, but one day I hope there will be a cure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

We all truly wish there were a cure. My grandfather had it and now my father does. There are a LOT of new medications that are out there to control the tremoring, etc. that can be used prior to starting Sinemet (Carbidopa/levodopa), but Sinemet is the main drug.

I have heard that frequent massages can help and that there are a lot of treatments being tried by acupuncturists, chiropractors, etc, but they, too, are only to help with the symptoms. I hope your friend gets along well and that you can help by supporting him as he goes through this terrible disease........

• 1 decade ago

Currently, there is no cure. There are drug therapies to slow the progress, but not to completely halt it. No reversal has been achieved to date. Currently, they think that stem cell research offers the best chance to find a cure.

• there isn't a cure medication may control the tremors. there is an experimental procedure where the doctors implant something in the brain that has showed promise. but is not FDA approved yet.

• 1 decade ago

no there is no cure, there is medication that can help control the symptoms of PD, also they are using deep brain stimulation to help control the tremors, its not for everyone..but i've seen video tape and there is a big improvement.

check out this web site http://www.theworstpain.com/faq.html

• 1 decade ago

Right now there is no cure,researchers are working on it.

• 1 decade ago

it cannot be cured, the tremors can be controlled.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.