dashriprockrock asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

i have kittens 3 days old. is it advisable to handle them ?

• Sara
    Favorite Answer

I think you'd better let them grow a little

It depends on what kind of relationship that you have with the mother cat. I have had a lot of cats that has had kittens and I have handled the kittens from day one. Usually the mother cat will move the kittens if you handle her kittens before they are 6 weeks old.

Source(s): My own experience

Well if the mother cat is not around to take care of the kittens, then its advisable tat u handle the kittens. The kittens would die if they r abandoned without any1 to take care of them. seek advice frm ur vet. they would advice u on some formulas for kittens to feed them. keep the kittens warm. they would also advice u on ways to regulate the kittens bowel movements since the mother is not there to do so. with gud care, the kittens would b able to survive n grow up to b healthy cats. all the best. b kind...like wat the others hve said, dont touch the kittens if the mother cat has left them n gone to find food. the mother cat would not accept her kittens if she smells human smell on the kittens. but if they r orphaned kittens, plz handle them without hesitation.

I would let mom cat take care of them for the time being. although, my two kittens were handled from day two and their mom didn't mind. she was concerned, but she never abandoned them. as it was said, it depends on the demeanor of the mother. if she was your cat and how she feels with you being near the kittens. by all means though, if the kittens were abandoned by the mom then you need to intercept and start feeding them and taking care of them like the mother would. go to the vet and ask what type of kitten formula to use. then they need to be bottle fed. the best way to help them with bowel movements is to take a warm, wet q-tip and rub their butt gently. mom cat usually licks it and it makes them go. hope this helped.

• Sheila

Depends on the momma, some mommas will move their kittens if you handle them, some will neglect them if your scent is on them. If you have a good relationship with the momma and she knows you won't hurt them it should be okay. But it would be best to let momma take care of the babies for now.

No. you are not supposed to handle kittens until they are 2 weeks old unless u absolutely have to.

• what do u mean advisable to handle them

No, leave the momma cat take care of them. Don't be afraid if she carries them away and hides them, that's a normal instinct.

No, donot touch them. sometimes the the mother will abandon them if they smell different.

I think it's a little too early.