What is the best 1911 model, .45 ACP handgun?

Favorite Answer

well its a 3 way tie for me. kimber, colt, wilson combat.

They're all good, including "old slab-sides", Colt's 1911A1 that the U.S. military is currently pulling out of mothballs and refurbishing for use in Iraq. Any way you cut it, the 230 grain .45 FMJ bullet is a far better stopper than the 115 grain 9mm FMJ bullet. Military trials proved that long before World War 1. Lord only knows why the 9mm Beretta was ever adopted.

Nearly a century later, there are some new .45 ACP's that provide a double-action first shot and a bigger magazine. Your local firearms dealer will help you in choosing the right gun.

I see that "Rev" likes Kimber. That would be a good choice in a single-action style like the 1911A1.

I like the M 1911..I fire the H&K 45 and it was nice.

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, STI.

I have heard to many horror stories about how hard it is to break in a Kimber.

I love my Colt Gold Cup and I carry a Springfield.

"Best" for what? Competition? Defense?

I like Springfield due to its low price for the "mil-spec" model, as I generally build my 1911's up myself - no need for the gewgaws that I'd just throw away anyhow. For competitive shooting, though, STI and SVT pretty much have the market - at least for USPSA shooting.

Figure out what you want it for, and make your decision accordingly.

id say colt. i have a thompson auto-ordinance . but i say stick with an original.

colt ,hands down

KIMBER.....Go to your local gun shop they will tell you the same.

YOU just answered your question.