Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)FIFA World Cup (TM) · 2 decades ago

Does Ukraine have a shot?

Let's be realistic about this? Their next game is against Italy...assuming they win, they play the winner of Germany/Argentina. Assuming they win that game (it could happen), they will likely play Brazil. Do they have a chance?

2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course they have a chance. Nesta is still out I believe and Totti's fitness for a full 90 minutes can not be guaranteed.What a fantastic job the Ukraine have done. A poor country does not make a poor team as implied above. Many poorer nations have great players and teams. It is a way out for them so they are committed. They will have to play as a team and create the opportunity for Shevchenko to be used at his deadliest. He is for me one of the top 3 players in the game and someone like that can not be under estimated nor can his ability to motivate and drive his side. As with Australia, the Ukraine have nothing to lose so I'm sure they will go out there with that in mind and have the game of their lives. I love to see sides like this succeed. They have worked hard for this opportunity. My money is on them and I hope they take Italy to the cleaners. It would just be fantastic for world football to see an under dog have such great success. Good luck to them and lets hope Shevchenko is on his game. If they get past this game anything is possible for them. Their confidence and belief in themselves will be unshakable. Confident teams will play well.

2 decades ago

No chance. They were poor against Switzerland, largely due to the fact they were happy to play for penalties from the start. If they play a similar game against Italy they will be punished.

As a betting man i would without a doubt go for Italy. But in sport anything can happen.

• 2 decades ago

Ukraine plays Italy...The way Italy played against USA, makes me think twice..Ukraine have shown grace and have done Great, everyone was looking for the underdog and here they are...I have all the confidence in Ukraine...If anything they will play in the semi Finals and that will be it....As far as estimating Brazil making the semi Finals I doubt it...I believe France will beat the Brazilians....

• 2 decades ago

Yup i think Ukraine has to step up now and play harder and they will beat Italy. Only problem for Ukraine is that i have seen that they sometimes try to do much individual work(i may understand for Shevchenko cuz he doesnt really have any help) but in order to win their going to have to play more as a team

• 2 decades ago

I feel that every team has a shot. Some are obviously better than others, but how often do those teams get upset. It's one game and your done. Any mistakes could mark the end for any of these teams. Ukraine is a team who cannot make any mistakes, but to say they have no shot would be wrong.

2 decades ago

No. Italy as always will score under the 30th minute which will then make them a little bit greedier and more aggressive,they'll score again leaving Ukraine to run Home With Their tails between their legs.

• 2 decades ago

They can beat Italy because of the 8 teams left, they are the least impressive.But I can't see them winning the whole thing. There are too many heavyweights still out there. Still, this team should be proud of themselves because they have done a terrifc job.

• 2 decades ago

they are the cinderella story in this world cup and yes they do have a chance (as we have seen so far with other matches!). They've already pulled off an upset against switzerland, i see them having a chance off getting into the semis, but after that its a crapshoot to determine (because all teams are great this time around!)

2 decades ago

ill be realistic in the sense that they will beat italy and loose to either germany or argentina

i really hope they beat italy! i hate italy!

2 decades ago

Yes because they have a world class player in Andriy Shevchenko, if you have someone like him in your team you have a chance