reuliuil asked in TravelFranceParis · 2 decades ago

Calling all French speakers! Help a poor tourist with some of these words!?

I need the Parisien cab drivers to understand me. How do I pronounce these places. Musée d'Orsay, Louvre, Cité des Sciences, Arc de Triomph, Notre Dame, Versailles, Conciergerie, Vendome, Bastille. Foodwise - boulanger, boeuf, cassis, pain, baguette, croissant, bien cuit, écrevisse, crème fraîche

Merci in advance =)

• 2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

Moo-zay Door-say, Loo-vre (schwa sound on end - the unstressed syllable sound in all words in English), See-Tay day See-yahnce, Ark de (schwa) Tree omph, No-tre (schwa) Dahme, Vair-say-ye (schwa), Conh-see-yair-jer-ee, Vendome, Bah-Steel.

Boo-lan-ger-ee, boof (as in book), ca-sees, panh (as in hat, the n is not articulated with the tongue and roof of mouth but through the nose as when you say hmm, only open mouthed), bah-guette, crwah-sahnt, bee-enh kwee, ay-crev-ees, crem (as in ahem) fraish. The r's are prounounced more like h's than an American English r, but you should probably just use the r you know.

All vowels should be pronounced as shortly and crisply as possible. Do not pause between words. The locals will appreciate you trying, but you might want to bring the things written down as well so that when they don't understand you, you can point.

• 2 decades ago

Don't worry about cab drivers, they will understand you. Otherwise, you can always show them on the map or write it down.

You can also check this site of a French dictionary where you can find words and click on "prononcer" to hear to the words: http://atilf.atilf.fr/dendien/scripts/tlfiv4/showp...

I'm sorry I can't help you more!

Bonne chance!