Patricia V asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

My husband relocated a birds nest with babies in it- will the mother be able to find it?

A bird made a nest in a bookcase located in our gargage as we often leave our garage doors open all day and night. We are leaving on vacation, so my husband relocated the birds next to the closest tree outside the garage - about 25 feet away. In the next we three newly hatched baby birds - maybe 24 hours old - and two unhatched eggs. Will the mother be able to hear her baby birds?? I will feel terrible if they are abandoned but we really cannot leave our home unsecured with nobody around. Any advice??

Best Answer

NO! The mother will either not find the nest so she wont come back, or the mother did find it, and will not come back. The mother birdie will consider the eggs "spoiled" because someone else touched her nest so she will assume that "it" (her nest) and everything in it is bad, andwill go off and lay some more fertile eggs. ( It is likely that the mother will not go near your backyard, or where ever you did this around for fear of her nexteggs being "spoiled" again. If you think I am being mean, I am trying not to, but this is the explanation I have.(Next time if it is bothering yopu a lot, wait a few days, and If they do not hatch, or something like that, to have a chance of the eggs "not being spoiled" USE GLOVES TO REMOVE IT, AND MAKE SURE THE MOM DOESNT SEE YOU.

Source(s): bird expert. I take in sick or wounded birds, and have some birds myself.

they will be fine. I accidentally knocked a robins nest with three chicks onto the ground recently. I picked up the birds nest, place it back in the tree in a different location and then picked up the chicks with my bare hands and placed them back in the nest. The parents were having a fit while it was going on but were fine within a couple of hours and tending to their babies. It's an old B.S. story that birds abandon their young if humans touch them. As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks later, the chicks were learning to fly and were very comfortable letting me get within a foot of them and the parents didn't complain. They're smarter than we give them credit for. The parents of the birds you moved will find them and take care of them regardlaess of what these other people are telling you.

sorry but you just sealed their fate. they will soon die and i doubt that the mother will even go find them. she chose that spot where she made the nest because of some reasons. 1) it might be safe from predators.2) the conditions maybe just right 3)its ecluded. the bird will not recognize the clutch anymore and she'll probably nest somewhere else. the best you can do is to send them to a animal shelterr if they are still alive. sorry but i think they'll never survive.

yes the mother will hear there crys and find them.it's a myth that birds won't tend to there young if a human touches it the fact is birds realy can't smeel anything.the mother will come back.but i would keep an eye on it if the mother does not com back in hour or more take them in .feed them mashed insects with milk.

As long as it's not too far away, and it's in the same area, I guess they could be ok...

To be sure that they survive, you could call your local wildlife rescue center, and they would probably care for them. The mother might be upset for a while at not finding her chicks, but at least most of the chicks would live.

Hard to say, did the mother see u move the nest?

Hopefully she will tend to her babies.

If not , there isnt anything more u can do, keep an eye on it until u go on vacation to see if she finds it.

Goodluck.

He touched the nest, so now the mom will not go near it. Eventually the babies will die. Sorry. It is better to let nature be...and not mess with it.

Find it? Yes. Will she return? Probably not.

Birds are really picky about their children and nests. Once you disturb either, they are likely to move elsewhere and let the kids starve.

Sorry... been my experience tho...

i have no clue but put it back asap if it doesn't bother you!!! so the mother will try to find her baby's as soon as those doors open! i doubt that she will not find them she will maybe hear their cry but i don't know?

bye

• Brian

Even if the mother finds it, she will abandon it.