Why is Mexican for curly hair "pelo chino" when Chinese people have straight hair?

I know they speak Spanish in Mexico, but in Spain they don't say "chino" for curly hair.

French fries have nothing to do with France, apparently. In cooking, slicing things up is called "frenching". Unlike a French kiss, or snog. What do Americans call that?

Favorite Answer

That's a good damn question. Why does "chino" mean curly and who named the city of "Chino Hills, California"?

• Serena

Mary, you are too smart (and funny) for your own good. I think it's just one of those mysteries of life. Why are French Fries (now Freedom Fries) called that, even though they were first created in the USA?

And see, I learned something from you; I thought chino was a type of jeans. Ha!

I'm Chinese and I have curly hair! I don't know spanish (or mexican dialect), but I think Chino has nothing to do with China.

"Cabello rizado" is actually the proper way to say curly hair. "Pelo chino" is some sort of informal expression (dialect/slang). Plus, Spaniards don't speak Spanish like Mexicans do. =) Spaniards speak Castilian Spanish while Mexicans speak Latin American Spanish.

the spanish in mexico is different from the spanish spoken in spain, same thing with english in england and the us. "chino" might come from the aztec or mayan language and not from spanish

cuz they jus do chino doesnt allways have 2 mean chinese

Hi, I want to sign up for this question to get latest answers, so how can i do it is anyone willing to help.

This is a very interesting question

you are trying to be cute arentcha?