Highest paying police department?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what municipal or county police department has the highest starting salary in the US? Also can you post the website where you got this info?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I don't know of any website, but in the bay area (SF), the highest paid departments are:

1. Sunnyvale DPS (combo Police/Fire)

2. Berkeley

3. Santa Clara

4.. San Jose

5. Newark

Generally, the tougher departments such as Oakland, Richmond, or Pittsburgh only pay average. Sheriff's departments usually pay the least with the exception of some state agencies including limited officer with the State Lottery, Fish and Game, Dept of Water Resources, State Rangers and others who pay even less.

The toughest cities to be a cop also tend to be the lowest paid, and have the most corruption.. These places include New Orleans, Miami-Dade, Detroit, Baltimore, etc.

• 1 decade ago

A county outside New York (Westchester I think) city hires only experienced p.o.s who get a perfect score on their civil service test. They start a new hire off at 75,000 per year and time and 1/2. Have 20 year pensions based on overtime. Almost the entire force except for some new hires earns 6 figures.

• Jane
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the same reason that teachers with higher education get paid higher money than those with less education - Because they have more potential to promote up. The more education one has, the more they can command due to "marketability".

• 1 decade ago

If it's not New York City or Detroit, it should be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

New york city, that's where ima be!

• 1 decade ago

depends on how dirty the cop

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.