Highest paying police department?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what municipal or county police department has the highest starting salary in the US? Also can you post the website where you got this info?

Best Answer

I don't know of any website, but in the bay area (SF), the highest paid departments are:

1. Sunnyvale DPS (combo Police/Fire)

2. Berkeley

3. Santa Clara

4.. San Jose

5. Newark

Generally, the tougher departments such as Oakland, Richmond, or Pittsburgh only pay average. Sheriff's departments usually pay the least with the exception of some state agencies including limited officer with the State Lottery, Fish and Game, Dept of Water Resources, State Rangers and others who pay even less.

The toughest cities to be a cop also tend to be the lowest paid, and have the most corruption.. These places include New Orleans, Miami-Dade, Detroit, Baltimore, etc.

A county outside New York (Westchester I think) city hires only experienced p.o.s who get a perfect score on their civil service test. They start a new hire off at 75,000 per year and time and 1/2. Have 20 year pensions based on overtime. Almost the entire force except for some new hires earns 6 figures.

• Jane

For the same reason that teachers with higher education get paid higher money than those with less education - Because they have more potential to promote up. The more education one has, the more they can command due to "marketability".

If it's not New York City or Detroit, it should be.

New york city, that's where ima be!

depends on how dirty the cop