Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Toy Fox Terrier Puppy Question...?

My Toy Fox Terrier puppy is roughly 3.5 months old... I'm worried she is not eating enough... She has a very slender build... When I am away from home I leave her in a medium sized crate with a water dish, food dish, litter box (yep, she's litter trained), and some stuffed animals for her to chew on... She'll go through a dish (A tiny one) of food in 3 days.. which is a long time... She never looks full (her belly would stick out) and rarely see her eat... Will she be okay? Am I doing something wrong?

((By the way.. I DO know these puppies are supposed to look like... Her parents and 6 siblings are my boyfriend's dogs... Only one, besides my pup, has the slender build (her mom) and you can tell when she eats 'cause her belly droops, my puppy's doesn't, that is why I am asking.))

Sorry.. I repeated the first paragraph... oopsie!

Best Answer

First of all shes a dog not a cat.. NO LITTER BOX, try getting her on a schedule like take her out before you go out and take her out when you come home. treat her like a puppie not a caged animal, they need there run maybe try agated room like the kitchen and not a cage (THATS MEAN). shes eatting fine, they are a small type of dog hint the name "TOY" fox terrier.

Source(s): Owner TWO toy fox terriers they are 4 months old and house trained NOT LITTER TRAINED.

Does she eat better when you're home? Sometimes putting food in where a dog rests and uses the "litter box" is not a good idea, since they confuse the two. Usually these items should be kept apart. Feed her when you're home and also get the food (not water) out of the crate. Maybe it'll help.

The mamas tummy pokes out because she was made to have a bunch of puppies. Poor Dog. This breed has different body types. If your puppy has been wormed and had all its shots on time it should be ok. The puppy may not be all fox terrier either.

If the puppy does not eat for three days I would have a vet check it out.

Source(s): Vet Tech 18 years

Try switching food. If you use dry, switch to or add canned food. If you feed canned, switch to another brand or flavor. Be sure to only feed when she is in the crate. (No food when she's not crated).

Source(s): Personal experience as an animal rescuer

That's how they're SUPPOSED to look!! Didn't you check the breed standard before you got it? (silly of me...of course you didn't) Go look NOW- @ the AKC site.

***duh...there's a manure-load of difference between a mature adult & a pup. Its "bodying-up".

sigh****