DJ
DJ asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What appetizer and side dish for Chicken Alfredo?

I'm entertaining and the guest of honor has requested grilled chicken breasts with home made alfredo over angel hair pasta. What's a good appetizer and side veggie? I was thinking a Caprese salad (fresh mozzerlla, basil, tomato) served with crustini and maybe a steamed asparagus (with what sauce? just butter?). Also, I was going to serve a light white wine, or maybe a Spanish sparkling wine. Am I on the right track?

• Stuart
    Favorite Answer

You are absolutely on the right track.

Start off with some stuffed mushroom caps - try a seafood mix with some bread crumbs and butter, perhaps some chives (food processor, spread in caps, broil, paprika garnish)

Asparagus with butter is great, very light - I'd offer fresh cut lemon wedges, also. If you do decide to sauce the asparagus, remember to stay away from anything that has the same cream consistancy as the alfredo.

Light white - with an alfredo, you can get away with a nice Riesling, very cold - I am not a fan of sparkling wines with an entree, though you can feel free to start a bottle with the mushrooms.

If you have the time, twice baked potatoes might be nice - bake, scoop out, make a nice whipped potato with a bit of cheddar and garlic (easy there - a bit of garlic) and maybe a little parsley for color, scoop back in, top with a little cheddar, broil to melt tops.

This dinner is going to rock.

FYI, I'd be thinking sherbet and those long wafer tube cookies (can't think what they're called...come in a can?) for dessert.

Good luck! - Stuart

• kemmer

Appetizers That Go With Chicken

So far so good. Serve some bread and pesto sauce for an app. It goes beautifully with pasta. You can make your own or at your local grocery store in the pasta sauce isle on the top shelf they have basil pesto in a jar. All you do is add olive oil. Does not require refrigeration. You can use any bread you like. We use foccia. A French beget would work. All you need is some hollendase sauce for your asparagus and you will have a lovely dinner

• Diane

fettuccine alfredo is very rich, so i would make a refreshing starter, like orange and grapefruit slices drizzled with some balsamic vinegar. for dessert, in keeping with the italian theme, perhaps a tiramisu? my favorite easy dessert is... .get puff pastry sheets in the freezer section of the grocery store, cut the sheets into rounds with a cookie cutter, then bake according to directions. Make a strawberry compote by taking fresh or frozen strawberries, mixing with some sugar, and heating till slightly mushy. let cool. Put a tablespoon of the strawberry mix on top of the baked puff pastry and stick a dollop of whipped cream on top of that.... yummy! good luck!

• Swirly

TOMATO MOZZARELLA CASSEROLE

1 1/4 cups packaged Onion and Garlic Croutons

3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick

6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon dried basil leaves

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

salt and pepper to taste

3 to 4 tablespoons bottled Italian OR Vinaigrette Dressing

Scatter croutons over bottom of a 10" glass pie dish.

Overlap with tomatoes in a circular pattern to cover croutons. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over tomatoes.

In a small bowl mix together oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle herbs and seasoning mixture over cheese.

Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Remove and spoon dressing over top. Poke holes

to let dressing drain to croutons. Let stand for

5 minutes for flavors to develop. Serve.

• T

Stick with your idea, try roasting or grilling the asapagus. You don't want to many sauces mixing ya know? Anything other than olive oil and salt and pepper would probably be overkill. By the way, GREAT dinner idea!!!!!! Hope your dinner party turns out lovely!!

Oh in case you don't know: Roast on a cookie sheet drizzled in olive on 425 for about 20 minutes, or on grill for 5 minutes. Make sure to use alot of salt and pepper.

Your menu already sounds delicious! For an appetizer, I would go with "angels on horseback" to complement and contrast the alfredo sauce (and because it continues the angel theme). See the link below for recipe. The asparagus would be best served simply with butter. Go with the sparkling wine. Are you cooking dinner for an angel? :)

Source(s): http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0298/oyan... MommaToldMe...bon appetit!

Bread sticks and salad - you dont want to have very many carbs with pasta - i would serve a great salad - and a huge bowl of steamed veggies!! or another good idea is get on Olive Gardens website and get someideas from there sides on there online menue. Good luck with your meal i think you are on track sounds great! and have fun - lol wish you could cook for me ;)

I like to mix flavors, so for an appetizer, I would do jalopena poppers

For a sidw disk, (if I even bothered with one), it would be fresh asparagus, not canned.

steam the asparagus and place on a broiling pan or baking dish drizzle butter over the spears. sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil just til cheese is beginning to brown. Can also drizzle a little lemmon juice over it