Gooplesquirch asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Does anyone else have an African Clawed Frog?

I have an African Clawed Frog, and I was just wondering who else has one. What kind of foods do you give yours? What kind of tank? Tankmates? Mine is an Albino, and is a female. Her name is Peace Out Hippie. (Hippie for short) She's getting fat on Shrimp Pellets, and lives with several fish.

Best Answer

i have two they are huge i got them when they were small and didn't know the size they would get . There were eatting flake food and now to keep my other fish safe i have feeder fish in the tank i have a 90 gal i'm about to get a 75 gal just to put my smaller fish in so my bigger fish and my frogs can stay together. The frogs are as big as my fist. I spk to the fish clerk at the pet store i shop from and he said they will get bigger than that.

• Bonnie

That's actually not unheard of, and really the fault of the supplier, when the dwarf frogs are mixed with the clawed frogs. Personally when my Petsmart location gets their fish shipments in, I go through and inspect them just in case, and have yet to find a clawed frog. Before purchase always check their front fingers. A 5 gallon tank is not appropriate for a clawed frog and I do consider the absolute bare minimum to be 10 gallons. A 10 gallon tank is really quite small with only a 20"x10" footprint. *Regardless of how many water changes you do, it does not change the dimensions of the tank. If that is not a possibility you should return him or find him a new home even though you don't want to do it. If you really like him then you'll want him to be healthy and live in a suitable home. ~EDIT~ I'm sorry but even though you like him, and even with extra partials on the tank, as said above, the minimum does not change. Though the commonly recommended minimum is 10 gallons, I wouldn't keep mine in less than a standard 20 for the extra space.

your african is oing to become a monster and your fish will disappear-my customers would trade me fish for their frogs bedause they ate all their fish-they were bigger than your fish---if you want frogs ONLY get the DWARF frogs--they only eat wat they can catch , which isnt much except pellets or dying fishAs far as Hippie goes-keep himinhisown tank WITHOUT fellow roommates unless you like to watch them eat them in which cawe buy some feeder goldfish

• Lynn

I feed mine sinking froggie pellets and blood worms occasionally.

i feed mine tropical flake food hes 4 years old and pretty big

Ours eat brine shrimp (still babies) and freeze dried river shrimp.

Mine eats crickets and wax worms. She only eat live :-(

i feed him regular fish food.

I had one of these and it used to attack my other fish. I had to get rid of it.

wut the heck