How would you describe 'sight' to a blind person?

How would you word such a description to someone who has never experienced sight

Favorite Answer

You can't.

Based on personal experience when I went completely blind for several hours as a symptom of shock. I think sight, to someone who's never experienced it, is as incomprehensible as blindness is to a sighted person who's never been blind. And if you think you can imagine what its like to be blind, I promise you, you're wrong.

Very few people who we might call "blind" are totally blind, and have some partial sight, or can see light and dark. These we can easily describe sight to.

Regarding the totally blind, I would wouldn't bother to attempt to describe something that the blind have no concept of. They would have their own map of the world using their remaining senses, such as sound and touch.

Sight is experiencing objects in mental representations which the eye initially projects upside down, but flips quickly enough that sighted people are never aware of this process.

It's like touching an object from a distance, because you can get a sense of its density and texture and height, shape etc just from looking. It's often a "normally" sighted person's preliminary sense.

Colours and light are used to inform decisions about shape and depth etc.

• shuey

nicely many those that are blind see black so which you could assert Like what you're seeing now black yet in a distinctive tone Darker or Lighter with a sprint extra flare to it It has a tendency to be everywhere and provides you means to describe issues in a million extra way

Sight to a blind person is like hearing to a deaf person but just with color!

Source(s): Personal

Sight is touching something with your eyes. Sight is reading something not with words but with shapes. Sight is hearing with colors. Sight is tasting with light.

I have no idea how to describe it.

First I would ask the person if he/she dreams, and if so, let them know that sight is equivalent to waking dreams.

If they do not dream, I would explain sight as visual flavor, equating all the variations of taste to light and various gradations.

• mand

Ask them about their dreams. Do they see anything in their dreams?

There is an older movie (I think its "mask") where the main character describes colors to a blind girl. He uses something hot to describe red, when it cools it turns pink. If you watch that movie try the things he does in that scene.

A totally blind person has no concept of light or dark or black and white, a totally blind person has no idea of what colours look like.

You can't. Words do not do most things in this world justice. without sight its just words.