In the State of Maryland, if you live in a motel over 30 days are u exempt from paying the room tax?

Favorite Answer

This isn't my area of expertise so you shouldn't rely too heavily on anything I say. However, based on some published materials I found, it appears that there may be a time limit of four months except in certain counties. In Frederick and Washington counties, the limit appears to be 30 days, and in Carroll county, it appears to be 25 days (as of Oct. 1, 2005). However, I could easily be misreading or misinterpreting the rules, and I haven't put the time into it I would if I thought you should rely on my conclusions. At least it bears further looking into.

Source(s): Maryland Code, Article 24, Title 9, Subtitle 3, Part I, Section 9-301.

In some states you may well be. For that reason, many hotels will not allow you to stay for over 30 days; they typically require you to check out and check back in again.

Also, if you do reside there for over 30 consecutive days, many states now consider you a tenant, not a hotel guest. That's an important difference. The hotelier can confiscate the baggage of a guest who fails to pay their bill without court action and can do a simple eviction by calling the police and having you removed. If you are considered a tenant, he has to go through the standard eviction proceedings and can neither lock you out nor retain your posessions.

You'll need to check with an attorney licensed in MD for more information.

No dude I think that's Hawaii.